Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this home made tractor a few weeks ago.It has a Crosley engine,Borg Warner T-92 transmission,a GM 3 speed of some sort and a model A rear end.I think it would top out around 35040 mph.Anyone else have an interesting home brew?

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't have any but I'd sure like to own at least one. I watch for them on Craigslist all the time. I kinda have a thing for em. Neat to see how people come up with stuff like that and make them work. But, I also tend to like weird old stuff so maybe that's why I'm fascinated by them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You sit so far away from moving parts that I think long hair while reaching for the steering wheel and shifter would be the only thing that would have a chance of getting cought in anything.

No loose clothing allowed...did that come from a nudist colony? Maybe just a minimalist colony.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you and I have another I will have to dig out and get some pictures of.

I don't have any but I'd sure like to own at least one. I watch for them on Craigslist all the time. I kinda have a thing for em. Neat to see how people come up with stuff like that and make them work. But, I also tend to like weird old stuff so maybe that's why I'm fascinated by them.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Heh heh! That's awesome. If that qualifies as a tractor so does dad's 'shiny jeep' machine. It doesn't really fit in any other category. Forgot to mention the shiny jeep had a top speed issue too. It went around 35-40 mph if you waited long enough for the Kohler to get it there. It had a JD 214 front axle and the brakes were wimpy at best. So dad made a lockout on the transmission so it would only go into 1st or 2nd.
shinyjeep3.jpg

Reactions: jd195350

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I sold two 4 cylinder engines like that of dad's. No electric start on them. They ran really smooth but were hand crank only so they went to a new home. Could have put a starter/generator on one I guess but my cup was already runneth-ing over from keeping other stuff.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure what factors make a tractor a tractor but I decided mine was a tractor based on no suspension and a rear hitch.Was that tractor going to be clad in a Jeep body? That transmission looks huge! A hand crank engine would not last long around me either.

Heh heh! That's awesome. If that qualifies as a tractor so does dad's 'shiny jeep' machine. It doesn't really fit in any other category. Forgot to mention the shiny jeep had a top speed issue too. It went around 35-40 mph if you waited long enough for the Kohler to get it there. It had a JD 214 front axle and the brakes were wimpy at best. So dad made a lockout on the transmission so it would only go into 1st or 2nd.
View attachment 239504

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This one was made from a French made Simca car and was reportedly constructed from a man who worked at Bethlehem Steel and that would help explain many of the hand made parts.It steers like it has power steering.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe this was a purpose built tractor but not quite sure what it was used for.It has hydraulics with remote couplers and it did have a front blade and the mount is still attached but it does not look like the same person who built the tractor build the front blade.It looks like the first governor was not working correctly and that a second gear drive that was converted to belt dive was installed.

Oh man that's a great one! It actually looks a lot like a tractor too. A lot of them I've seen dont lol. I see a lot of crosley parts in them.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Don't have one of my own, but this is from 1941 National geographic article about the Black Dirt region by me.
It appears to be an old Ford modified to pull a plow.
1941-ng-BLACKDIRT-JALOPY.jpg

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Reactions: motiv8

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It seems like it might be geared a little fast for some farm work.Lots of Jeeps got turned into farm tractors but I don't think the rear ends care for it all that much.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts