Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Heard the same story often repeated. I often wondered how many gamer computers are out there where some slick person just purchased a tower with all the silly lights and cooling then installing a leftover motherboard processor, some flashy looking components then pass it off as a hot rod gaming machine. Sort of the electronic version of a Krylon restore tractor.

Along those same lines, in office buildings you always have issues with thermostats and everybody adjusting them to suit their comfort level often causing a lot of descension. We had nothing but fake stats hanging on the columns while the temps were controlled in the duct work. Can't even begin to count the number of times building HVAC techs went up and changed out, unlocked or adjusted a stat that did absolutely nothing just so some gal didn't need to wear a sweater. Placebos are a technique not exclusive to your MD. And, I think I see quite a bit of that on these pages also.

So I think our chatter is on point for this discussion.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Super Moderator
3,923 Posts
I had to get up and go elsewhere so I could laugh when he started bragging in the lunch room about how fast his new PC was.
So Army was that because it was his last year computer?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
That is the way I read it. That is classic and I’m guessing the user is limited to the areas of software he was able to access to prevent him from looking into what type of hardware he had installed. If he can’t install software like CPUid etc and blocked from accessing hardware monitors etc etc then it’s kind of hard to identify hardware with out opening the case.

I make my computers last about 10 years or more. I just upgraded last year in May from a Phenom II x4 955 BE to a Ryzen 7 3800x. I would love to have a Ryzen 9 5800x but can’t justify it. I use that computer mainly for racing simulators. Installed win 10 pro and don’t do any thing important on that computer. I hate win 10.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Or it’s the classic I have no clue but the case is shiny.

Reactions: dhager4692

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Yah. I bought him a new tower box with nothing inside it at all. It was like an empty suitcase. Everything I put in it was from his old computer.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
He had no clue about what was actually inside a computer. He was also contemptuous of tractors and trucks, especially anything home made or modified. He liked factory show cars though. When I knew him he had an '82 Camaro pace car and then a '93. Definitely not my cup of tea.

I’m guessing the user is limited to the areas of software he was able to access to prevent him from looking into what type of hardware he had installed.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Or it’s the classic I have no clue but the case is shiny.
Isn't that the case with most everything new these days? We're a throw away society. Once it gets dirt, time for a new shine.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts