Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Homey. He was a homeless old barn cat a few months ago. He starting lurking around looking for leftovers but he'd run away if you even looked at him funny. So my wife of course started feeding him and gradually tamed him and he's a big sucky baby now. Not allowed in the house but he sleeps in my shop in return his mousing services. I started calling him old Homeless at first, then it somehow became old Homer, then my wife started calling him Homey. So that's who he is. He is as stone deaf as stone deaf gets. Not good at picking up vibrations either. My Eagle huffer powers on like a 426 Hemi and runs almost as noisy. Makes the floor hum too but Homey never blinks an eye when it starts and runs. He's easy to sneak up on. I have to let him see me coming or he ends up hanging from the ceiling by his claws like Sylvester. Ok that's obviously BS but his reaction if I startle him indicates if he was a cartoon cat that's what he'd be doing.

Reactions: dcotop and DEERE317

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
And ironically, he's napping on a Cub...when he's far from those days. The only critter excitement around here lately is an armadillo digging up my front yard...watering the wintergrass, so the ground is nice and soft. He also burrowed up under my water/rain barrel...I can cure that with a spotlight and .12 ga. around 5:30 a.m. but wouldn't be too popular with the neighbors...so live and let live I guess.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have a possum that hangs around. Our ****zu has a panic attack if she sees it. Shrieks like a monkey on speed. There were no possums around here till they started hitching rides on trucks hauling fruit from the southern states. Man they're homely looking critters. We have moose up here though so we can't say much.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
****zu is censored?

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it is.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
We have possums here too, plus two types of squirrels, skunks, etc. on the edge of the woods. Lots of winter birds and summer hummingbirds. It's been awhile since I've an armadillo problem in the yard. May have to dig out my live trap and relocate him. Stir up the neighborhood yapping dogs a bit.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Army, I once heard that to prove God has a sense of humor, just take a look at a moose or a camel.
Sure glad to be reading your posts again.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Tommyhawk. We go way back don't we. I was a newbie when you were already a member for a couple years. I still remember the welcome you gave me :). The 110 RF I had when I stumbled across WFM looking for info about it is still in my shed.

No moose in Ontario till you go about 200 miles north of me. But we have lots of deer, couple squirrel varieties like Tmac's area, rabbits, some coyotes and foxes and so on. The occasional wolf is spotted around here, which is so unusual it always makes the local paper. When I was a kid I'd be nervous walking to school for a few days after every sighting. We have some pretty ugly buzzards to make up for not having moose though. There's a dozen or so that like to perch on a cell tower just down the road. It's somewhat unnerving to go past them on my golf cart heading to my brother's. I always get the 'somebody is watching me..' feeling. They didn't do it this year but a large number of them gathered over dad's land for the trip south last fall. Looked to be thousands. It was quite a spectacle of precision flying. I didn't know they flocked together in such large numbers so I was wondering what they knew that I didn't. I hit one in the ass in the dark one morning going to work. He was having his breakfast courtesy of a raccoon that didn't look both ways. He didn't realize I was coming till the last second then took off in the direction I was going and I gave him a helpful boost with my windshield.

Army, I once heard that to prove God has a sense of humor, just take a look at a moose or a camel.
Sure glad to be reading your posts again.

tommyhawk

Reactions: tommyhawk

·
Registered
258 Posts
And ironically, he's napping on a Cub...when he's far from those days. The only critter excitement around here lately is an armadillo digging up my front yard...watering the wintergrass, so the ground is nice and soft. He also burrowed up under my water/rain barrel...I can cure that with a spotlight and .12 ga. around 5:30 a.m. but wouldn't be too popular with the neighbors...so live and let live I guess.
You haven’t been awakened by a red headed wood pecker at daylight pecking on your aluminum gutters by the bedroom window after working midnight shift. Let’s just say loaded 12 gauge in my shorts, to hell with the neighbors. Apologies came after some sleep. Lol

I have also been talked into a cat I didn’t want by a daughter that said it wandered up. Ended up keeping him, had him cut so he wouldn’t spray. Feed him just enough to stick around. Have not seen or heard a mouse in attic since. I guess he’s earning his keep.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Got a live animal trap from the local law enforcement...borrow, trap, return. We'll see how long it takes me to get the trap in the right spot to catch this armored digging machine. While looking the trap over and figuring out how it works, I had an idea about monetizing the situation. The first morning I noticed the armadillo in the neighbor's yard, pre-dawn, I also noticed the neighborhood cats lined up on the curb opposite the yard...like they were sitting in que. They were actually sitting there, lined up watching this big, weird armored rat dig in a yard...but too chicken to go after it or even investigate it. So...I think I need to run a trap line out front and catch a handful of neighborhood cats...then have a big, seasonal cat sale instead of a garage sale. Wonder which of the neighbors will bail their cats out of jail? Or maybe I just need a pet armadillo to keep the cats out of my flower beds, garden and off the cars/truck.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I vote yes, Pet/People prison together your see where I'm heading as you read, "animal control in my neck of the woods", What get my gears spinning is all those people who have to have pets but don't take care of them, then decide to drop them off near me because they do want to take responsibility for the animal or pay for the put down, make it someone one else problem.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You made sure it wasn't Woody first though right? :D

Almost as annoying as the pecker that was bothering you was a cricket that somehow got in our house and chirped all night. I had gotten home after my daughter's wedding about 2 am and had to be up at 7 to go help tear down/cleanup the hall, so it was really annoying. If I'd had the power I'd have snapped my fingers and eliminated every cricket in the entire world. Insect rights groups would have likely picketed my house for extinguishing an entire species but I have a shotgun too and I know where to get rock salt.

You haven’t been awakened by a red headed wood pecker at daylight pecking on your aluminum gutters by the bedroom window after working midnight shift. Let’s just say loaded 12 gauge in my shorts, to hell with the neighbors. Apologies came after some sleep. Lol

I have also been talked into a cat I didn’t want by a daughter that said it wandered up. Ended up keeping him, had him cut so he wouldn’t spray. Feed him just enough to stick around. Have not seen or heard a mouse in attic since. I guess he’s earning his keep.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
No luck trapping last night...for dillos, not the neighbor cats. Gotta move the trap, but first I need to poke around and find which part of the woods the dillo is coming from. They have poor eyesight and hearing, but excellent scent detection...if I can find which side of the house he is following in his rounds, I can set the trap along that run and funnel him into it with a couple of boards. Then he/she will be off to the deep woods where it can run and frolic with the coyotes. Deer season is underway here, need to start watching for refugees in the mornings where the edge of my wintergrass meets the woods. That's a nice sight on cold, foggy winter mornings...spotting whitetails a few yards away while enjoying your first cup of Joe.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is Homey. He was a homeless old barn cat a few months ago. He starting lurking around looking for leftovers but he'd run away if you even looked at him funny. So my wife of course started feeding him and gradually tamed him and he's a big sucky baby now. Not allowed in the house but he sleeps in my shop in return his mousing services. I started calling him old Homeless at first, then it somehow became old Homer, then my wife started calling him Homey. So that's who he is. He is as stone deaf as stone deaf gets. Not good at picking up vibrations either. My Eagle huffer powers on like a 426 Hemi and runs almost as noisy. Makes the floor hum too but Homey never blinks an eye when it starts and runs. He's easy to sneak up on. I have to let him see me coming or he ends up hanging from the ceiling by his claws like Sylvester. Ok that's obviously BS but his reaction if I startle him indicates if he was a cartoon cat that's what he'd be doing.
View attachment 261180
Army
We have this Guy / Gal show up a few times a year looking to help out.
IMG_4154.JPG
IMG_3807.JPG
IMG_3809.JPG
Thankfully the wife said no to WILL WORK FOR FOOD

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well that trumps my barn cat story by quite a bit Yooper. My wife would have that bear seated at the table come suppertime.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reactions: MiniHomesteader

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Homie hasn't been around for a few days. We had a friendly barncat named Uncle Fester when I was a kid. He'd take off for weeks at a time then come back. He often had more scars and pieces of his ears missing when he showed up again. I was a dumbass kid sometimes and I still feel ashamed about an incident with that poor cat. He was walking past me one day when I was helping my ma get the clothes off the line so I impulsively clamped a clothes pin on his tail with the intention of it being just a quick on/off 'coulda gotcha!' kind of thing. But he took off like rocket and came back a month or so later with only about a 1/4 of his original tail. He didn't hold it against me though and I tried to make up for it by feeding him tasty leftovers.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Well, there are a few of those in the neighborhood, too, Army but I wouldn't need a trap to catch them if I were so inclined. And sure enough, now that I have the town's live-catch loaner trap set out the armadillo has changed directions in his/her nightly jaunts and hasn't been back to my yard...either that or the neighbors' gang of cats has put their heads together and taken it down...more likely the coyotes got it though.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haven't seen old Homey since Monday morning when I let him out of the shop. Maybe some coyotes got him too. He's a tough old bugger though so he wouldn't go down without a fight.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
We lost my daughter's cat to the woodsy critters a few years ago...she went out for a night-time stroll and never came back. She was a good mouser/hunter who always wanted to share the spoils, but she was a mean so-and-so too. She snatched a fledgling Mockingbird once in Mississippi and stashed it in the garage, still alive. Mrs. and Mr. Mockingbird made our lives a living HELL for a few days afterward...attacking anything that came and went at our house. Those are a unique species of bird, but they are vicious and foolhardy. Once I found the fledgling, dispatched it and put it out in the yard for Mom and Pop M-ingbird to find, they left us alone...except the cat, they plagued her the whole time we lived in the sunny south...very unforgiving.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts