Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So like an idiot I forgot to drain/stabilize my 420 over the winter. Its been repowered with a Honda GX690. Now it constantly is surging unless under a super heavy load. Has anyone experienced this before? Can these carbs be services like 90% of others? It's annoying and embarrassing.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Nick, Drain the old fuel out and add fresh fuel with some seafoam mixed in. For the few $$ it costs, in the future put StaBil...or four favorite brand... in EVERY can of fuel, not just before winter, but EVERY can! Bob

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nick, Drain the old fuel out and add fresh fuel with some seafoam mixed in. For the few $$ it costs, in the future put StaBil...or four favorite brand... in EVERY can of fuel, not just before winter, but EVERY can! Bob
Thats the only thing I hate about these fuel tanks being this old, the new gasoline gumming up all the filters. and sticking to the inside of em.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Nick, I'm a FIRM believer in StaBil. From '82 til '84/'85 my log splitter would not start in the spring until I pulled the bowl, washed the bowl and the bottom of the carb with parts cleaner. Reasm, 3 pulls and running. My Cousin ran a landscape business and told me to add StaBil to my gas...and I did. I never had to pull the carb since then and 3 pulls, running!

Now living in Tenn., I have little use for my tractors from Nov thru April. After shutting them down for winter, I top off the fuel tanks. When my 5 gal. can is empty, I add 2 oz of StaBil and fill with 5.0 gal. of gas...and I use ethanol gas! I've never had a fuel delivery problem and tractors fire right up in the spring. I don't do too much with 2-cycle engines, but I've got a can of 2-cycle fuel...with StaBil in it... that's approaching 6 years old. My weed wacker starts & runs good and, when low/empty, I refill with 6 yr old fuel...still no problems!

I guess the patent rights have expired on StaBil as there're are a lot of other similar products on the market now. I don't know if they're better, worse, or the same, I just know StaBil works for me and I'll use it til it's no longer available or I die...which ever comes first! Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this issues yesterday 10/12/21. The motor was fine under a load and would miss and backfire like crazy at rest.
Remove the air filter housing. Remove the fuel supply hose from carburetor. There is a plate just to the front of the intake that is held by one Phillips head screw, remove the screw. You will see 2 black oval jets. The jets will pull straight out when pried up with a screwdriver. Clean the jets thoroughly and spray carb cleaner into the holes without the jets in them and with the motor running. I really gave the two ports the what for with the carb cleaner. This should resolve your issue. Make sure the o-ring stays on the end of the jets before you replace them. I changed fuel, plugs, filter and tried various fuel system cleaners which didn't work. It's about a 15 minute job. Best of luck. Let me know if this helps.

So like an idiot I forgot to drain/stabilize my 420 over the winter. Its been repowered with a Honda GX690. Now it constantly is surging unless under a super heavy load. Has anyone experienced this before? Can these carbs be services like 90% of others? It's annoying and embarrassing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts