Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this question, so I'll put it here since it's about the 216 I'm working on. What's a good product to clean up original decals without destroying them? Rubbing alcohol? Brakleen? One of the basic cleaners like simple green?
The fiberglass hood of the 216 I'm refreshing is littered with gunk/grime that looks like dried mildew or maybe tree funk. Don't want to get too aggressive with it, but need to clean it up well before masking and repainting.
Used the Search function, but didn't find a thread that specifically mentions this. Mods feel free to move this to wherever it belongs. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would probably stay away from something like brake clean too. That might be strong enough to take the print/color off of the decal. I'll 2nd the soft scrub, just start in a less noticeable area. I wonder if that would be abrasive enough to act like a rubbing compound on the green paint too? Might get an unexpected bonus shine afterwards.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wound up using Scrubbing Bubbles bath/shower cleaner. Works well and is safe for fiberglass.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
tmac, a word of caution, do not clear coat...unless you have a spare set of decals.
I just finished up my 49 thrower, complete with powder coat on prolly 95% of all parts. One part was a baffle that had a Deere logo decal on it. I knew the old one would be sandblasted off so I ordered new decals from a dealer. Parts list listed 2 per package and that's what I ended up with, 2 decals! These were pressure sensitive adhesive and I mounted the one I needed. I had planned on clear coating, but I decided to see what happens with the 2nd decal when exposed to paint. With the backing still on the decal, I laid it on a flat, relatively level surface, and laid the paint to'er. Well, as the heavy coat of paint slowly rolled to the bottom of the decal, so did 50% of the coloring!

I think most of your decals will be water-apply type, so this MAY not happen to yours. Just be alerted that it may though!!! Bob

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it, thanks. No plans to clear coat anything on the 216...it will be a worker and not a show piece. I will probably coat the existing good decals with a thin coat of petroleum jelly or maybe car wax before I mask them off so I can paint the hood and hood pillars. I hate having to redo decals...the materials they use for them these days is JUNK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts