Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I see how the green box brackets line up with the holes on the frame, but it’s blocked by stuff all around it. I’m new to tractors and really most machinery in general - learning as I go. This is my first week with the 318. It has a loader in front, but gets almost no traction, which is why I’m trying the ballast box. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Plant Natural environment Motor vehicle Tree Grass

Rectangle Grass Wood Gas Plant

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
Picture #1, #5, & #6 you have the rear of the box against your tractor tow plate. The box is turned around. The hitch on the box is to tow a wagon behind the box.
Picture #3, the top of this picture goes toward the rear of the tractor.
Your tractor does not have the rear 3 point hitch to complete the hookup. (unless I'm missing something I don't know about)
A 3 point hitch will cost you from $300 to $500 if what I say is true you need it.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
After studying it more, I'd say those brackets go in-between the frame and rockshaft mounts, then the box locks into them with the spring loaded pins...????
Agreed. The green brackets replace the small black brackets that hold the rockshaft in place. I'm not sure if there is any connection at the bottom of the box.
This assumes the box is made to fit a 318.
Edit: I don't think there is any way to use those brackets on a 318, as they don't fit the rockshaft.
I was thinking of brackets like this, that do fit over the end of the rockshaft.
Auto part Font Gas Metal Circle

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
I agree you have it backward. It would help if you had a better picture of the front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. Here’s a better photo of the box. I thought it goes the way I had it because the pins are facing the frame. There is a smaller hitch mount on the bottom opposite this side.

Automotive tire Wheel Rectangle Gas Motor vehicle

Green Plant Land lot Rectangle Grass

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
Now the question is how do those plates mount to the tractor. My weight system for the loader uses the MCS mounting brackets. I have 4 bars of steel approximately 2 x 5 x 20 which fit in the homemade rack. I don't have a good picture on this computer.

·
Registered
771 Posts
It’s hard to tell from your photos but those separate green brackets do not look long enough to span the distance between the tractor frame and the weight box pins if you have the lower plate bolted to the tractor hitch. The large holes in the green brackets look to be a bigger diameter than the pins in the weight bracket but that’s also hard to tell from the photos. Was that weight box previously mounted to a 318 or similar open frame tractor?
The weight box pins look like they might match up with the frame of a smaller, closed frame tractor like a 317 or a 200 series but even so, that lower bracket looks like it might be in the way of the trailer hitch on any tractor. Let us know if you figure it out.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Andy, is the outside width of the mounting tabs on the box the same as the outside of the frame, 13 1/2"?

·
Registered
33 Posts
It’s hard to tell from your photos but those separate green brackets do not look long enough to span the distance between the tractor frame and the weight box pins if you have the lower plate bolted to the tractor hitch. The large holes in the green brackets look to be a bigger diameter than the pins in the weight bracket but that’s also hard to tell from the photos. Was that weight box previously mounted to a 318 or similar open frame tractor?
The weight box pins look like they might match up with the frame of a smaller, closed frame tractor like a 317 or a 200 series but even so, that lower bracket looks like it might be in the way of the trailer hitch on any tractor. Let us know if you figure it out.
I agree that one looks like the ballast box I have on my 140

1 - 13 of 13 Posts