Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been able to locate purchase and install the ultimate weapon in snow removal today...the firestone floatation 23 now what would be the best air pressure to run in them ? do i go for a large contact patch or air em up. (model 140 with a minimal amount of weights added and a 54 blade) thanks jim P.S. i love my tractor

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I can't speak for snow removal but I have Firestone's on my 455 with loader and Carlisle tires on the front.I followed the tire manufactures recommendations at 12 psi for the front.I was on uneven terrain and sidewall bulged and the bead busted.Looked up my machines recommendations and it said 20 psi.I aired them up to 20 psi and have not had a problem since.So in short I would follow John Deere's recommendation for your machine.

AJ

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I run 20 psi.That is what the owners manual calls for.Actually it states 6-20 psi.If you are not running anything on the back you could certainly go less.20 is a little bouncy but better safe than sorry when those Firestone's are that expensive.I would not want to bust a bead and rip the side wall and ruin a tire.

AJ

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Guys, I run 3 1/2 LBS. I found that the more pressure you run the less traction you have. The softer the tire is the better it contours to the ground hence more contact area. Just my experience and 2pennies. Joe

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Joe
As far as traction I have to agree.That is why you see truck mud tires with treat on the sidewall.You can lower psi and get better traction and more tire on the groung.Mine is for my loader which as you read above is why I run that much.

AJ

·
Registered
596 Posts
Jim,

According to the John Deere 140 Hydrostatic Tractor Owners Manual (OM-M46861 Issue L2) tractors using 16x6.50-8 High-Floatation Tires should use 6 to 16 psi on the front and 23x8.50 (and 10.50)-12 High-Floatation Tires should use 5 to 10 psi on the rear "use the high psi readings for heavy front loads such as loaders; mid-range readings for blades and snow throwers; low readings for normal lawn use."

That said I use Carlisle 4 ply 16x6.50-8 Turf Saver on the front and I switch between a Carlisle 4 ply 23x10.50-12 Turf Saver and a Carlisle 6 ply Big Bite Tru Power on the rears. I have to agree with AJ on this one. I too run 20 psi in the front and rear on my 140. I feel as though I get a pretty decent footprint and I notice minimal bounce. When the 54 front blade is attached I don’t feel the steering drag I’ve noticed with lower psi. 4 ply tires stand up to some pretty harsh usage.

What does Firestone recommend as a psi in the "floatation 23"? What ply are they?

I've contacted tire manufactures directly to ask just this question so maybe you should contact Firestone and find out what they have to say??

Kenneth

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thnks fr the input guys yea i looked on the side wall and didnt notice any psi specs they are 2 ply 23x8.5x12 sounds like for pushing snow i had better air them down as it is now im running about 25 psi rear and 39 psi front as per 4 ply tri rib indicates for the max ...it just steers better that way i will double check the side wall info on the firestones if i cant find anything re psi i will take your advice and call or e mail em as for snow removal i will start at 10 psi thanks for the info guys sounds like i was way off with 25 psi

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 455 with a temp gauge that does not work. The fuel gauge and all other lights even the backlights work. I freed the needle as it was stiff. The gauge slowly returned to its position all the way past hot without being hooked up. I removed the wire from the sensor and grounded it to no avail. I returned the needle to its peg below cold and hooked it up again. When the switch was turned on it pegged beyond hot??? Help Please!

·
Registered
182 Posts
James, you may want to check out this tread to see if you might have the same issue.

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
James and Bob,
Thank you for this thread and older thread on the 455. My tractor has been in storage over the loooong winter (I would liked to have used it with all of the snow this winter). It was nice enough the other day I went out and checked the tractor out put the key in, turned it on then waited for the glow plugs to cycle then cranked it over and it started right up. I am thinking of a full service before this year's mowing season. Glad to learn the fuel system is self-priming. I just never let it run out of fuel, I don't even want to risk a fuel pump replacement. Is there a special (high-dollar) wrench to get the fuel filter collar off and on or do you just use a screw driver or a channel-lock wrench?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.