Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the technical manual it shows 7 pints (3.5 qt.) and when I put in 3 qts it was overfull. I changed the filter and drained all I could out of it. Seems strange that it only takes like 2 quarts. I don't have the operator manual does it say anything different?

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Marc,
It is likely that your dipstick/oil fill tube has been screwed in further because the threads were stripped. This is a common problem due to vibration of the long fill tube, and also caused by the 1" tube being too small for a proper 3/4" npt thread. There are several postings on the subject here, Check this one: http://www.wfmachines.com/forums/showthread.php/13368-JD-400-dipstick-tube?highlight=400+oil+pan. I wonder just how many K532 failures in the JD 400 have been caused by insufficient oil in the pan.
Harold

Reactions: knottyrope

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I may need to drain again and fill exactly then shorten the dipstick so the "FULL" lines up.

Sent from Samsung Note 3

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Marc,
If your fill tube is solid and not leaking at the pan, I would advise just sticking a dowel rod down the fill tube to the oil pan bottom (tractor needs to be level). Measure the oil on the dowel rod. Add oil as needed until the dowel rod shows 2-3/8" of oil in the pan. Now recalibrate the dipstick with a file marking (easier than shortening the dipstick). In doing this, be sure the engine has been run after the oil change so the oil filter, oil ports, etc. are filled. Draining the oil pan with the front left of the tractor parked downhill will still leave some oil in the pan.
Harold

Reactions: knottyrope

·
Registered
784 Posts
Marc,
I experienced the same exact scenario you described. In disbelief I ran it a number of hours but it just didn't "feel" right. Then I looked at the quick drain and it seems like it doesn't allow complete and all the way to the bottom of the pan drainage. It looks like a 1/4" or more oil is left us drained. So I drained about a quart out to hit the mark on the dipstick. I have no reason to think that any mods have been done to my tube or dipstick. So I am just trusting the dipstick rather than the 7 pints.

Harold-thank you for the 2-3/8" number. Next change I will do the dowel check to see about oil remaining in the pan. Jay

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks gentlemen, very helpful. I would hate to burn up a motor after it survived 38 years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JDalchemist you were right on. 2-3/8" was were the level was so the manual is way off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts