Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1973 140 skeleton that I trade for 2 fenders off a 1966 RF parts tractor. The 140 consists of frame, front axle w/wheels, and hydro unit. No engine, hood, grille or pan. Hydraulic lines are intact. Here's my question, is there any way to check or test hydro unit to see if it is any good? Was hoping this could be a backup hydro for my 300 or my 314. Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I haven't tried it, but I have heard of guys turning the hydro with a small electric motor or a drill. Looking at the front of the hydro, rotation is CCW.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Pump charge pressure should be 75-110 psi at half throttle (2650 engine rpm)

18 volt Milwaukee cordless drill/driver unloaded rpm is 1800-2000 rpm. Under load rpm speed will be less. I don't think a drill has enough rotational speed to test for function.

I think you need something that will spin the pump faster.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have used an electric motor to confirm viability of transmission

Use 2x4 or plywood etc to mount electric motor. Strap down securely with ratchet straps. Connect driveshaft using lovejoy connection.

Stand back and be prepared to unplug quickly in case things get ugly when you plug it in.

Be very careful around rotating driveshaft and other components.

This is for test purposes only. No safety interlocks installed so be VERY careful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts