Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
430,650,x730,5320
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my hands on a 1988 50 inch mid mount mower deck. Working on it , it appears to have not been babied but sat quite a few years.No rust issues but the pto shaft is stuck fully compressed. I tried penetrating oil but no luck so far.

Any suggestions on how to get this thing free?

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Heat?

I have same problem with 54" deck on my X485.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Some kind of "slide hammer" set up?

·
Registered
430,650,x730,5320
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Success, I managed to get things free. WD40 and a little patience , let it soak with the penetrating oil , a bit of hammer work and it started to move every bit slowly. After an hours work I got it apart, cleaned up and oiled ,slipping in smoothly. Really it was amazing how that black gunk had hardened inside the pto shaft. Now to carry on to the next issue on this project. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I've had the same problem with ice, even though the shaft was fully lubed both with anti-seize and oil. My solution which worked well last year was the anti-seize plus occasional penetrating oil like Kroil or anything else you like

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you want something better than WD40 go for Kroil, it is hard to find so buy a bunch when you do find it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just looked up Kroil, it is pricey, so is good whiskey. You can order it direct from Kano Labs (the Kroil, not the whiskey), and they just happen to have a special deal right now where they will give you 1 can free with your order, so you can get 2 cans for the price of 1. Penetrating-Lubricating Oils

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you aren't predisposed to having some of the fancy stuff (Kroil, PB Blaster), a good home brew is just some junky ATF and acetone. The acetone gets the ATF to creep.

The acetone will evaporate eventually, so just make smallish amounts.

It works pretty well, I think it was the highest rated in some internet test IIRC.

That said I keep a big can of PB Blaster around, I've used it since the '90's when I was an OTR tire service guy. If that won't do it, you're going to have break it or cut it.🤬

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is quite interesting! I am a big fan of home brew. For instance, I have beer brewing right now, in the spring I make maple syrup thanks to my Maple trees, later in the year I make jam from my Serviceberry tree fruit and when I need applesauce I will make it from fresh apples. So, I will definitely try the ATF/Acetone trick.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Careful with the acetone, very unforgiving and toxic stuff...also very effective if you respect it. Strive for zero skin contact at all times.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have some Kroil but usually use PB Blaster which is readily available at WallyWorld and most auto parts stores.

WD40 is not really a penetrating oil. WD - water dispersant (40th iteration during the development) - so I am told.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Careful with the acetone, very unforgiving and toxic stuff...also very effective if you respect it. Strive for zero skin contact at all times.
That recipe is for bolts not body wash!:p

I have some Kroil but usually use PB Blaster which is readily available at WallyWorld and most auto parts stores.

WD40 is not really a penetrating oil. WD - water dispersant (40th iteration during the development) - so I am told.
Fish oil and stoddard solvent. IIRC originally a missle polish.

·
Registered
96 Posts
"WD-40" is abbreviated from the term "Water Displacement, 40th formula", suggesting it was the result of the 40th attempt to create the product. The spray, composed of various hydrocarbons, was originally designed to be used by Convair to protect the outer skin of the Atlas missile from rust and corrosion.

·
Registered
430,650,x730,5320
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I am partial to WD 40. I can buy a gallon for $30. It may not match up to Kroil but I just priced Kroil at $44 for 8 oz. A little too pricey for the way I spray the stuff around. In a pinch diesel fuel works if you can soak the item in a pail for a while.I used to restore old snowmobiles and many a time a frozen motor was got running after filling the cylinders with diesel. Removing the heads, and smacking the top of the pistons with a block of wood and a three pound persuader. Sometimes it took a few days but eventually things got moving.☺
Once a farmer always a farmer. HA HA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts