Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I did a complete tune up this weekend and the 322 runs great. The only problem is the fan belt. I bought a new one but could not find out how to change it out. I have the service manual but could not find the answer. It looks to me that the drive shaft has to be removed to replace it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ben,
I just did this on mine. You have to remove the radiator and then you can get to the 6 bolts on the rubber isolator that holds the drive shaft to the engine. Once the isolator is removed you can put on another fan belt. Here are the steps I used.
1. Remove fender deck.
2. Remove alternator so it is out of the way.
3. I removed the side panels on both sides of the instrument pedestal.
4. Drain radiator and remove radiator hoses.
5. Remove 4 bolts that hold the fan shroud and slide shroud over the fan so the radiator will come out.
6. Lift radiator out.

Now you can get to the isolator and change the belt. The whole job takes awhile but it is not as bad as it sounds. Someone may have an easier way but this way made everything accessible.
Bob

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ben. When you drain and remove the radiator. Look inside the radiator cap opening, if you see white crusty buildup on the cores, it would be wise to have the radiator cored (fins cleaned out) and boiled. It will just help you with cooling down the road. This can be done at a radiator shop for $40 to $100 tops and will be a wise investment.

Paul

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scott,
Thanks and great post with pics. I was thinking about photographing the process but you already did it.

Wish the site had tech help so people can post things like that. That way you would not have to search forums for these type of questions. Thanks again.

Ben

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.