Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a manual 48" snow/dirt blade and was considering adding hydraulic controls to use on my 318. Dang, those little cylinders are pricey! I am surprised someone has not offered an aftermarket cylinder to replace them at a reasonable cost. I was just shopping at my favorite store, Farm & Fleet (If they don't have it, you don't need it!) and they have tie-rod style cylinders starting at $65 and going up in price based on length/bore as one would expect.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Years ago there was a guy selling aftermarket cylinders on ebay, I think they were around $100 each. The rockshaft cylinder from a 316-430 is very close to being the same as the blade cylinders but I think it might have slightly more length to them. I know a lot of people use them on their blades with no issues.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
The cylinder you are speaking of is the Deere AM31382 "angle cylinder". This one ... HYDRAULIC CYLINDER John Deere 54" & 56" Front Mount Snow Plow Blade AM31362 729787462831 | eBay.

Four or five years ago they were selling for around $115-$120. Called them and asked how much they would charge me if I bought 6 and picked them up at their manufacturing plant. Paid $100 apiece for them. That was before they were made of gold just like lumber is at the lumber yard today.

Gabby

Reactions: jd140

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lumber is a 'supply and demand issue', hurricanes/fires/floods/COVID (did I miss anything?) all contribute to that. These little cylinders?? I don't think they fall into that category.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Those cylinders are used in a lot of applications. Apparently they fail before other things do so that makes them a supply and demand issue also. Realize a lot of these attachments are 50 + years old and are still in use.

·
Registered
332,430,455,F-932
102 Posts
Lumber is a 'supply and demand issue', hurricanes/fires/floods/COVID (did I miss anything?) all contribute to that. These little cylinders?? I don't think they fall into that category.
Does anyone have the specifications for these?

·
Registered
4,542 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,382 Posts
Here you go:

AM31362

Specification
Weight:5.73 LBS 2.60 Kg
Bore Diameter2.500 IN
Rod Diameter1.000 IN
Stroke4.000 IN
Closed Length8.000 IN
End Type-Rod & Cap0101
Rod End Size0.516 IN
Cap End Size0.516 IN
Working Pressure2,000 PSI

Chuck

·
Registered
580 Posts
There's this, not much/any cheaper than that Ebay link.
Also does anyone have anymore information 48" GT blades? Wasn't aware that the were made in that size, thought it only was the 42" and 54".

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I have a quick hitch 48" blade I am trying to sell. The best I can find about it was that is was offerred on X530 GT's. Don't like it because does not have a latch to keep the blade from tripping and springs are to weak to keeping from tripping to often.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just picked up a manual 48" snow/dirt blade and was considering adding hydraulic controls to use on my 318. Dang, those little cylinders are pricey! I am surprised someone has not offered an aftermarket cylinder to replace them at a reasonable cost. I was just shopping at my favorite store, Farm & Fleet (If they don't have it, you don't need it!) and they have tie-rod style cylinders starting at $65 and going up in price based on length/bore as one would expect.
THERE ARE 4 SEPERATE COMPANIES OFFERING REPLACEMENTS.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RonE - are all 4 of those companies priced at $200+ for these cylinders? I'm sorry but in my book that is too much $$$ for that simple cylinder.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Someone could make a replacemnt cylinder that is rebuildable (instead of welded) and take over the market. The only thing that goes bad are the seals.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
The issue is Tom that either you pay that amount or buy used. Scrappers now the price on these cylinders have increased so they are increasing prices on used cylinders. Again, you either pay that amount or do without.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gabby, you are busting my enthusiasm! So your alternative is buying an overpriced new cylinder, or a possibly leaking used cylinder. Used cylinders come off non-running machines. What is the rebuild cost on these, $75? So you need to cut it off on a lathe, replace seals then reweld and test? $75 sounds reasonable, if you got the leaker for free.

·
Registered
580 Posts
For the price they are a somewhat niche part that I doubt is easy to make, melt seals welding isn’t a good thing. They cost around that of the large market cylinders in farm stores that are bolted.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I went thru the same thing when I was looking for AM33334, M86063, and M121020 sheaves for Deere tractors. Went through it also for 318 kwik hitches and pto drive kits.. Went through it again looking for Brantly power steering kits. Found ways to make it less painful to the pocket book. I buy parts tractors that have these components. Sell what I can to reduce the cost for the components I want. I have these components on hand now because I have been buying them up when price was low. Also have a closed frame pto for 33 tiller I no longer have a need for. There are parts however I need and have to pay going price for them. Will be restoring another model 49 snow thrower so will need to buy bearings, 34T sheave and chain.

Cylinder repair. I have never rebuilt one myself and my hydraulic repairman just passed away. I have a 318 steering cylinder that leaks. I am sure that is going to cost me.

Angle cylinders I buy up when I see them advertised for a fair price. I have a supply of them. But what I have I have need for. I am always watching for them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just went through this, with a leaking steering cylinder on 318. I felt $200 aftermarket was too salty for a, basket case tractor I paid $425 for. Cut the cylinder open with my 4.5" Dewalt grinder with cutoff wheel. I Don't weld so took it to local hydraulic shop. Seals $15, labor to assemble, pressure test weld and paint $85. $100 total. If I could weld, $15 for seals. Some helpful person, on a forum, has a schematic and measurements on where and how to cut. Local John Deere graveyard said it couldn't be done. With ingenuity and a can do attitude, It Can be Done. Too many people throw in the towel, in our disposable world. My 2 cents. +, I prefer original parts as opposed to aftermarket, (Foreign China Cr_p). Good luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JD3one8 - I do like you attitude, It Can Be Done. When something is NLA, it forces us to use our ingenuity, and that is good brain exercise. There's more than one way to skin a kitty! No offense to the kitty, just a cute phrase. I used to do software modifications (back when I was a working stiff), and while looking through a colleagues code I came across that saying in a comment field, always makes me chuckle when I think about it!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sorry, been busy. They can be rebuilt. ETA: Even by a total novice like me. This was the first cylinder I've ever been inside of. It took 3 tries to get it sealed back up, though. Messy.

I replaced the seal (O-ring) and used some JB weld on that nick. Hardest part was sealing it back up.

Just for some further info, the cylinder used on the 400 series and the quick hitches (It has a raised ring on the shaft end) AM147175, will work on the lift of a 54 blade, it just won't raise it as high as the proper cylinder. It will not work correctly for the angle. It won't fully go to the closed side, and won't angle it far enough the opposite way, That was how my blade came, and I had to swap the cylinders to correct angles.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts