Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just got the o-ring at the hydraulic store. LOL, he gave it to me... (CV19 benefit).

I did not replace the red packing band on the piston. But, I would assume it's available.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh yeah, JD! Thanks for posting. Seems like the best bet would be to head to the closest hydraulic shop with that info, but based on my googling:
  • AN05 - An style wiper ring: 3/4" rod, .104" base thickness, 1.010" groove I.D.
  • QR-4210 - Buna-N quad ring, 3/4" x 1"
  • 575-210 - Urethane backup ring 3/4" rod ID, 1" OD, .04" thickness/height
  • PS1500-32 - Polyurethane Piston seal 1.608" ID, 2" OD, 0.115" thickness

·
Registered
16 Posts
The picture duplicated, I apologise
Oh yeah, JD! Thanks for posting. Seems like the best bet would be to head to the closest hydraulic shop with that info, but based on my googling:
  • AN05 - An style wiper ring: 3/4" rod, .104" base thickness, 1.010" groove I.D.
  • QR-4210 - Buna-N quad ring, 3/4" x 1"
  • 575-210 - Urethane backup ring 3/4" rod ID, 1" OD, .04" thickness/height
  • PS1500-32 - Polyurethane Piston seal 1.608" ID, 2" OD, 0.115" thickness

·
Registered
16 Posts
I didn't want to chance ordering the wrong seals, so I let them measure and order. If they were wrong, it would be on them. Just to clarify, this is for a steering hydraulic cylinder on a 318. Not for a plow blade or rock shaft cylinder. Although, I believe the repair would still apply, just the sizing would be different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
RonE - are all 4 of those companies priced at $200+ for these cylinders? I'm sorry but in my book that is too much $$$ for that simple cylinder.
One or two are over 300.00. A few months ago I found a co. up in Minnesota, I think making them for around 100.00. Look around on Google.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I didn't want to chance ordering the wrong seals, so I let them measure and order. If they were wrong, it would be on them. Just to clarify, this is for a steering hydraulic cylinder on a 318. Not for a plow blade or rock shaft cylinder. Although, I believe the repair would still apply, just the sizing would be different.
I'm assuming the seals, wipers, etc. are the same for the 318 regardless of the cylinder, but maybe someone knows for sure.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
That is the price you pay when refusing to use John Deere parts. We as members cannot answer your question with confidence if it is not a Deere part.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
I agree with Gabby about after-market parts being another question mark during any troubleshooting of a question here on this forum. While some MAY work, it does provide another dimension of uncertainty as to function -- just look at the performance of non-JD belts that do not have the same V-angle as the factory specified part.

Another source of difficult remote diagnosis of a poster's symptom would be modification and/or defeat of safety features and other aspects of the Deere designed electrics and harness...the further from "as shipped" configuration you or a prior owner has taken the tractor the less precise our forum help can be.

It is your right to choose, but it does impact our ability to help when we are unsure of what your machine's state actually is.

Chuck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gabby, I'm not sure what parts you are referring to? If it's seals, they're probably not Proprietary, no more than bearings on the, deck spindles. A hydraulic cylinder seal, is a hydraulic cylinder seal. Besides sizing. I'm sure they're more than likely imported, like most everything else that has been "off shored". Sad but true. Like the deck bearings. I searched around trying to locate either USA or Japanese. Ended up just purchasing them, from my local JD dealer. I believe they were Chinese sourced. So who's to confirm quality? Belts and Hydraulic oil, I only use John Deere. I do understand, what you refer to as, help on a diagnosis. I'm retired, so I have time to research all avenues.

·
Super Moderator
3,693 Posts
I'm assuming the seals, wipers, etc. are the same for the 318 regardless of the cylinder, but maybe someone knows for sure.
The same steering cylinder was used on all 318,322, and 332. The only change that was made was to add a grease zerk to the swivels.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was wondering about the grease zerk. The cylinder I repaired on the 1991 318, had one. My 1988 318, only has a small hole in that spot. Too small to thread a zerk in.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Unsure about hole sizing for grease zerks especially on these vintage machines. Today however grease zerks are not threaded into castings. Holes are sized for certain size zerk and installed with a brass hammer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Didn't know that. I didn't want to drill it and run the bit, into the ball in the socket. I'll keep it lubed up with aerosol can of white lithium.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The same steering cylinder was used on all 318,322, and 332. The only change that was made was to add a grease zerk to the swivels.
Thanks, I was more referring to the hydraulic cylinders elsewhere on the tractor and plow, like the lift and angle. I know the cylinders vary in the length of the piston but that would not have any effect on the seals or wipers that I mentioned, I think.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Cmy, Rockshaft, plow lift & angle on the 318 are 2.5" bore with 1.00" rod, so yes, repair parts would/should be the same.

Deere purchases these cylinders and I could understand the spec'ing certain key features, but something like seals may be left to the manufacturer. The only sure way is to open up each cylinder and measure the seals. Even o-rings on rods could be different cross section and result in a different OD...from cylinder manufacturer to cylinder manufacturer! Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,693 Posts
Hydraulic Cylinder
Part Number AHC18368
Description

HYDRAULIC CYLINDER, 50X20 from JDParts
Bore 50mm equals 1.9685 inches
Rod 20mm equals 0.78..62 inch

I am guessing the steering cylinder doesn't need to exert as much force as the rockshaft or front attachments need which would allow for smaller cylinder.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts