Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 322 into the JD dealer twice now for hydraulic leaks. The first was diagnosed as a loose hose coming out of the transmission. After picking it up I used it for about an hour and hydraulic fluid seemed to find its way to the fan and deck which splatered through the control tower. I took it in again and that leak was diagnosed as leaking hydraulic control valves (both). That was about a $1,000 repair. I took it home and mowed for about an hour and the same leak happened in the same manner as the prior. At this point I researched on this site and discussed it with the JD technician. The dealer agreed that they would take the machine apart and not charge labor to diagnose. My question - do you think it is the steering valve? The dealer said that would be a 5 hour labor job and $2,000 for the part alone which is not in the cards. This is a sweet machine and accesssorized with zero catagory accesories. It runs like a top and has about 2,600 well maintained operating hours on the Yanmar gas 3 cylinder. If it is a steering issue would it make since to find a used unit? Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
551 Posts
It seems very strange that you keep having various hydraulic leaks at different parts of the system, and with only a little operation. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it's pretty strange.

Steering column is a tough one, just from a labor standpoint. They can be rebuilt, but Deere probably won't do that. And there is still the labor of getting it in and out.

A used column is an option, I have one in my 140 (from a 318), it has been working fine.

I would guess you have $1500 in the 2 repairs maybe less, but even with no labor on a column, another $2k is getting up into some real money.

I think the dealer is maybe misdiagnosing the problem and/or just throwing parts at it. Expensive parts.

Did they by any chance show you the bad parts they have replaced so far?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your guess is pretty close. If the newest issue is steering I am going to see if they will install a used part I might obtain on ebay or somewhere.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hang on a minute, proed.
This was just discussed a couple weeks ago.
With a rebuild location that rebuilds the steering valve and tests it for 75$.
I'll look for the info and post a link.

Heres a copy of the info posted...

I found my notes and receipts. The John Deere service manual for your tractor has a section on rebuilding the steering unit. You can also do a search for the Parker Hydraulics Hydraguide Hydrostatic Steering System HGF Service Procedure and download it. It's their Service Manual 2753

The John Deere Steering Control Unit Seal Kit I used was part no. AM107078 and cost $93.34 in July 2020. It included the seals needed to completely rebuild and it also included an exploded view of the steering unit with these suppler details. The supplier is QCC, LLC. 9501 Winona Avenue, Schiller Park, IL 60176 Ph (708) 887-6268. In talking to a customer support technician at QCC, he told me they rebuild the units and I believe the price at that time was $75.00 for labor and testing plus the cost of whatever parts would be needed in the repair plus freight.

If you need the bushing at the top of the steering tube under your steering wheel, I used John Deere Steering Shaft Bearing Kit, part no. AM107081 and it cost $13.90 in July 2020. The kit came with 3 bushings and I used the one that fit my steering column.

Both times I rebuilt units, I set up a designated area to do the repair and I hung plastic sheeting from floor to ceiling to make a clean room as well as provide a barrier wall to catch springs that tend to fly out on dissassembly and reassembly. I completely rebuilt both units with all new seals and the second unit I rebuilt needed new springs because the old ones appeared worn and were difficult to hold in place during reassembly. I have heard of some people only replacing the seal located where the steering tube connects to the Hydraguide unit so they do not have to take apart the difficult sections, however, with all the time it takes to remove and install the unit from the tractor, I was not going to take any shortcuts in the rebuild.

For the less adventurous, the $75.00 fee from QCC to rebuild and bench test seems to be a very good option.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Skwirl- thanks for reposting my input on rebuilding the steering column. In the last month I have been following up with the member with the 322 leaky steering column that I gave that advice to. In reaching out to QCC last month, unfortunately he was told they were too busy at the moment to rebuild his steering column but did quote him a price for a new steering column that was much less than half of what user proed was quoted by his dealer and posted above. It might be worth considering QCC as a supplier for new but I do not know any other details about the spec of the steering column they quoted.

For anyone wanting to rebuild the steering column themselves, check out the thread on mytractorforum written in 2011. It is still relevant 10 years later and the pictures are still in place. Just Google "Toasty's 317 power steering rebuild and conversion.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Thanks for the update on QCC and their service.
I kinda have my eye out for a parts tractor, just to have a few parts available. The steering valve is one such part.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Your guess is pretty close. If the newest issue is steering I am going to see if they will install a used part I might obtain on ebay or somewhere.
It looks like you should be able to source one on Ebay for a couple hundred. I would try and deal with them on the past work if they balk at putting in a used part.

You might see if you can verify if it's leaking. The systems are simple, but since they are connected, a leak can look like it's one thing, but just be running down a line. The good news is that they have been digging around in there, so it should be somewhat clean. You should also be able to see the bottom of the column just looking in through the hood. You can't see where all the connections are, but you could see if there are any signs of the leak up high.

·
Premium Member
8,655 Posts
Paul,

Sounds like the earlier hydraulic leaks were mis-diagnosed and it has always been related to the steering valve. You can do this repair yourself using the information in the TM1591, and there is another document from Parker that is helpful, attached below.

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the update on QCC and their service.
I kinda have my eye out for a parts tractor, just to have a few parts available. The steering valve is one such part.
Saw a 322 parts tractor on FB. Asked about the muffler but don't know if it sold or not.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I got a 322 steering valve from ebay for 90 bucks when I converted my Cub 154 to power steering. It worked well with no leaks. Additionally, as mentioned: The parts to rebuild these are all still available.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Hang on a minute, proed.
This was just discussed a couple weeks ago.
With a rebuild location that rebuilds the steering valve and tests it for 75$.
I'll look for the info and post a link.

Heres a copy of the info posted...

I found my notes and receipts. The John Deere service manual for your tractor has a section on rebuilding the steering unit. You can also do a search for the Parker Hydraulics Hydraguide Hydrostatic Steering System HGF Service Procedure and download it. It's their Service Manual 2753

The John Deere Steering Control Unit Seal Kit I used was part no. AM107078 and cost $93.34 in July 2020. It included the seals needed to completely rebuild and it also included an exploded view of the steering unit with these suppler details. The supplier is QCC, LLC. 9501 Winona Avenue, Schiller Park, IL 60176 Ph (708) 887-6268. In talking to a customer support technician at QCC, he told me they rebuild the units and I believe the price at that time was $75.00 for labor and testing plus the cost of whatever parts would be needed in the repair plus freight.

If you need the bushing at the top of the steering tube under your steering wheel, I used John Deere Steering Shaft Bearing Kit, part no. AM107081 and it cost $13.90 in July 2020. The kit came with 3 bushings and I used the one that fit my steering column.

Both times I rebuilt units, I set up a designated area to do the repair and I hung plastic sheeting from floor to ceiling to make a clean room as well as provide a barrier wall to catch springs that tend to fly out on dissassembly and reassembly. I completely rebuilt both units with all new seals and the second unit I rebuilt needed new springs because the old ones appeared worn and were difficult to hold in place during reassembly. I have heard of some people only replacing the seal located where the steering tube connects to the Hydraguide unit so they do not have to take apart the difficult sections, however, with all the time it takes to remove and install the unit from the tractor, I was not going to take any shortcuts in the rebuild.

For the less adventurous, the $75.00 fee from QCC to rebuild and bench test seems to be a very good option.
Is QCC able to sell the rebuild kit for less than buying from Deere?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Wow quite a bit more than the $75 to rebuild from a couple years ago. Thank you proed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow quite a bit more than the $75 to rebuild from a couple years ago. Thank you proed.
QCC supplies the rebuild kit to John Deere and in July 2020, the JD repair kit price was $93.34. Inside the Deere parts package is an exploded parts diagram view of the steering control unit and contact info for QCC in case you have technical questions or need additional parts.
That power steering control unit is used in many applications, not just JD garden tractors so QCC makes repair kits and other parts available at the retail level. The $75.00 QCC quoted me last summer was for rebuild LABOR and testing of the control unit if I sent it to them for rebuild. Any parts they needed in the repair would be in addition to the $75.00. Hope this helps clarify.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Oh ok that makes more sense. Thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts