Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
JD 1986 318
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the o rings on the two hydro check valves(freewheeling valves) on my JD 318...cannot find what the torque is
when tightening them down...Anybody?...thanks in advance...Dan

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Dan, It's good that you found the spec! Unless you've done this often/a lot, it's difficult to get the right "feel" as too how tight it should be. Too loose, oil will seep past the o-ring and leak. Too tight, you'll crush/damage the o-ring and oil will seep past the o-ring and leak!

My question is are you sure that's where the leaks were? The valves don't normally leak at the o-ring and usually leak around the pin. Keep an eye on them, especially around the pin. If they leak there, replacement is necessary. Bob

·
Registered
JD 1986 318
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan, It's good that you found the spec! Unless you've done this often/a lot, it's difficult to get the right "feel" as too how tight it should be. Too loose, oil will seep past the o-ring and leak. Too tight, you'll crush/damage the o-ring and oil will seep past the o-ring and leak!

My question is are you sure that's where the leaks were? The valves don't normally leak at the o-ring and usually leak around the pin. Keep an eye on them, especially around the pin. If they leak there, replacement is necessary. Bob
Bob, I am going to replace the O rings because I can freewheel my 318 without pushing down the freewheel lever on the right side of the tractor under the seat pan...JD says that the two lower rings are letting fluid thru and could effect the tractor while under load...I found the torque so next rainy day I will replace...I have no leaks at the top O ring... Have a Blessed day all

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Ahh, OK. Be careful installing the backup ring!!! Not sure of material, but often backup rings can be placed in a pan of water and boiled. This softens the plastic and makes it easier to install. Also, make sure backup ring is towards the top of the valve. If replacing the o-rings doesn't change anything, poppet valve inside may be worn and leaking. Bob

·
Registered
JD 1986 318
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh, OK. Be careful installing the backup ring!!! Not sure of material, but often backup rings can be placed in a pan of water and boiled. This softens the plastic and makes it easier to install. Also, make sure backup ring is towards the top of the valve. If replacing the o-rings doesn't change anything, poppet valve inside may be worn and leaking. Bob
Hey Bob...thanks for your reply...the back up ring I got is a split one...i even called where I ordered them and that is the JD number that comes up...yep they are split on an a angle...This must so they are easier to install...

·
Registered
312 Posts
That is interesting that you found a torque spec as I couldn't find one anywhere.

I purchased a new valve from eBay (here) Pair of MTD Cub Cadet SU9500085 SU9500085P relief valve "MADE IN USA" not China | eBay

The seller also sells valve kits. He recommended coating the seals in hydro oil before installing. I used a small jar, filled with hydro fluid, dunked the valve, then dunked each o ring before installing.

Regarding torque, I asked and this is what he told me:

"You're just feeding that rubber o-ring on the top. Hand tight with a regular wrench.

If it leaks a little you could always snuggit a little more"

So I would guess 23 ft lbs is probably about right so you compress that top o ring but don't deform it too much. So far, seems ok. I should probably pull off the pan and take a look though.

Sent from my BlackBerry KEYone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts