Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who loves Auctions? I certainly do. Tomorrow our community is having a fundraising auction where 15% of your sale goes to build an addition onto our community building. (Or you can donate the whole sum of your sale to the cause) Out where I live these farm/ranch type Auctions always has neat old stuff that been in the family for maybe a generation or two.
Today items are already being placed on the lot across the street from me. The largest item on the sale bill is a full fledged Combine. I see 2 pickup trucks and a Jeep Liberty ready for sale. I've got a few items to take over after while to sell. There's going to be a lot more stuff that not on the sale bill I'm sure.
I love playing Dave on Storage Wars....YUUuuup! lol.
I've got my eyes on a all steel farm 21 foot windmill tower (without the head fan).
I've got to be careful though, I could end up buying stuff I don't want...jus because I love bidding...lol

Publication Font Newspaper News Material property

Registered
I love people that love auctions.
Bought an almost new western 500 spreader for $200 off CL last week.

"So Bob, how'd you come across this? Well, see, I like going to auctions and buy things in lots. I sell what I don't want on CL as a hobby and way to meet people."

Met a really neat guy, had a nice long chat and got something I wanted for an amazing deal. 馃槑

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, It was my kind of Auction.
I sold $178 of stuff and bought $104 worth of stuff...lol
I bought 2 steel 35ft ranch windmill towers for $40 each, no head or fans. The towers make great vine trellises, TV antenna masks, and weather vanes...
It was a good day...
(Yes, I could pay $125+ for cable TV through the phone company but I don't. Antennas pick up good stations from Colorado Springs 100 miles away)

Registered
You came out ahead all right...when we were first married, we couldn't wait for Friday nights...Miami Vice and Crime Story on TV. We took turns going out on the front porch to turn the antenna pole to get better reception...during commercials of course. About 90 miles east of DFW.

Registered
Since I retired back in May 2018, I started bidding in auctions again. I used to go to auctions in person a lot when I was in my 20's-30's. Then I got married with a kid and that disposable income evaporated to zero. Now-a-days, I bid from my living room on one of the on-line brokers like Hibid or Proxibid. Almost all of the local auctioneers started using these brokers since the pandemic shut down in person events. I just went out today to pick up some ammo I bought from an on-line auction local to me. My best deal in the last 4 years would be the $60 Electrolux vacuum I got with many of the attachments still wrapped in the factory plastic. But my favorite deal has to be the Savage 12 ga. shotgun I bought that was made in 1939 and in almost new condition for around $140 if I remember correctly. Many times, my wife will travel with me to pick up stuff and enjoy sightseeing the small villages in eastern PA. We have traveled thru Amish country with their beautifully maintained farms, we have seen a running steam train out on an excursion, and we have enjoyed some GREAT meals in little mom & pop restaurants. We discovered a farm dairy store that sells the BEST ice cream we have ever eaten. I got my 55 year old wife her very first banana split! So yeah, I love auctions, for a lot of different reasons. It's been a lot of fun for us!

Registered
I had some of the most fun I鈥檝e had in a long time at an equipment auction just 25 minutes away earlier this year. Small tractors with loaders, riding mowers, all the way up to huge construction machinery. Ended up with a few small things. Already looking forward to the next one.

Registered
I have enjoyed auctions for a long time, sometimes I get some great deals, and sometimes the thing I wanted goes for way more than I was willing to pay. I have bought some farm equipment, even a combine and tandem truck, and lots of John Deere lawn and garden stuff. My best deal percentage wise this year was a intermediate drive for a 200 series tiller. Worth well over $100, I paid under $5. Other things are like, well, should I have bid that high?

Registered
When I was a kid, my grandparents on the farm would go to just about every auction staged by the local auction company...Priest Auctions. They bought and sold stuff there, and it was as much as social event for them as anything else. Lots of their household "treasures" came from those auctions. When it came time to divvy up their hoard after both had passed, I chuckled a bit when some of my cousins quibbled/argued over who got what. Most of that was stuff I remember Grandpap and GrandMam buying at Priest auctions. But to them it was a family treasure???

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last Saturday at the auction I picked up this truck headache rack for $5 that fits perfectly on my '84 f150. The passenger side rail was bent from when some yahoo removed it off his truck. I fired up the torch and brought it back in shape.
Today I removed my toolbox and put the rack on temporarily for fit. My toolbox won't fit back on but that's OK, I'm going to mount it on my F350 Dually truck and buy another box that will fit with the rack on.
I'm going to remove it and throw white paint on it so it'll look nice and match my truck.
Not bad for $5 and a couple cans of spray paint..

Cloud Wheel Sky Plant Tire
Wood Road surface Grass Natural material Trunk
Tire Cloud Sky Wheel Vehicle
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Tire Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Sky Car Cloud

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey! There's a dangling F on that ORD. Nice truck. What engine does it have? I drove an 83 F150 shortbed 4X4 with the 300-6 for several years...traded it in on an 88 Dakota with V6. Nice headache rack too.
Ya, I've fixed the F a couple of times but not good enough.
The truck has a 351 Windsor 4 brl, C-6 Automatic, power windows, 4x4. Duel fuel tanks, and an AC unit that will freeze you out...lol.
I'm second owner. I got it from original owner in Phoenix AZ. It had 37K miles when I bought it a few years ago. Now it's at 76K.
I have people stop and try to buy it ever so often.

Premium Member
True about the newest trucks...even my 1997 Silverado EXT cab is visually and actually smaller than a contemporary truck. My truck was purchased new and only has about 38K on it now, so I will keep it for sure...just has the 350 V8 but plenty adequate for my needs. I did upgrade the rear brakes to disc, and changed all the final drive gearing to 410 ratios because I was towing a camp trailer into the hills on forestry roads to get to hunting camps...

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Plant

Jerry - I remember when you were shopping for a truck and buying that one...great find!! (y) The auction-sourced headache rack looks good on it!

Chuck

Registered
Yeah, hah! My daughter calls the new double-cab, 4X4 longbed dually trucks EpicMobiles! I wish I could get her to sell me her '06 Yota Highlander hybrid. Sweet little ride, whisper quiet and all electric until you reach 25+ mph then the engine kicks in...regenerative charging through the brakes, too.

Registered
This would be a good time to confess my inability to understand a $#@! word the auctioneers are saying. Why do they have to babble away like roosters on speed? It's pure gibberish to me. It doesn't even sound like English. More like Mandarin. I was standing beside something I really wanted at a sale one day waiting for the auctioneer to start the bidding on it. He was selling a long row of closely spaced items and he sold what I was gonna bid on before I even realized he had gotten to it. I used to get dad to bid for me if I wanted something. I haven't actually been to an auction since the last time he and I went about 10 years ago.

• Haha
Reactions: jd_joe

Registered
I really like Jerry's truck. Dad would have loved to have it.

My regular cab 2000 F150 shortbox stepside is pretty rare. I've only ever seen one like it and it was rusted out piece of crap. It's not just a scarce truck it's also small compared to the behemoths on the roads these days. My oldest daughter had her 4x4 F150 4 door monster truck behind my F150 one day and it was parked behind my little reg cab shortbox stepside Splash. Looked like a classic case of there's always a bigger fish. I don't see Tmac squeezing into the Splash's cab so if I ever give him a ride he'll have to sit in the box. Won't able to lay down though. It's only a 6 footer. :p

Premium Member
Here is my best store about a small cab and large guys: My friend John was at least 6'8" and built big enough to fill up a doorway in all respects. He and a similarly sized companion were fishing in Alaska some years ago when a game warden in a little Ranger came up to check their licenses, etc. The trooper was a big guy also as this story goes...and about the time all the documents were checked, they all heard a splashing along the opposite side of the creek. A VERY large brown bear was coming their way!!! When asked, John said they immediately all got in the cab of the truck -- and noted that it was a lot easier than you might imagine... I envision they were all pressed up against the glass like pickles in a jar.

Chuck

Registered
That's motivation enough all right! If pressed though I bet the game warden could've outrun the bear, using Army's tehnique...kneecap the others with your sidearm and keep on boogeying!
I used to think the cab of my 69 F100 shortbed was plenty spacious, until decades later when I purchased and refurbished a 68 F100 longbed...same story when I redid the 72 F250 Camper Special. Apparently I was very open minded when I was driving the 69 back in the 70s!
When my daughter came home from college once many years ago I was doing brake pads & shoes on her 99 Chevy Tracker when she asked if she could use the truck to run over & back to a friend's house right quick. I tossed her the keys, said "buckle up and give yourself more room to stop." When she got back, first words out of her mouth after exiting the cab were..."I want this truck!"
She spent the rest of the weekend trying to pull that off. My wife asked me why she wanted it, and forbid me to agree. The answer was 390 V8 FE engine with hi-po cam and Holley 4 barrel carb...it would fly! The downside was 8 mpg...if you drove like granny. Less if you didnt!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts