Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
I really haven't noticed much of an exterior size difference in trucks over the years. My first truck was a '77 Ford F-150, 2nd was a '82 F-250, 3rd was a '90 Dodge Dakota and currently I'm driving a '13 Chevy Silverado 1500. I hit my head EVERY STINKING TIME getting into the Chevy truck. I have about 1" of clearance between the top of my head and the roof while driving. I don't remember having that problem with my other trucks. My line of sight in the Chevy is right at the top of the windshield, I never see the sky while driving.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Getting back to auctions, this weeks purchases were about 20 books, a new Portuguese wool blanket, some woman's sweaters (for my mother-in-law), and a couple of hammered metal bowls that look like they might have been high school metal shop projects. The bowls only cost me a dollar. I got outbid on all of the 10 different firearms I was interested in at a different auction. And I was checking out a 3rd auction, but decided not to bid because of how far I would have to drive to fetch anything I won. It's not a bargain if I'm spending $75 in gas to fetch it, right?

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
It's mainly a length thing for the extra seat and doors. The front ends on some models look like cowcatchers on steroids.

I really haven't noticed much of an exterior size difference in trucks over the years. My first truck was a '77 Ford F-150, 2nd was a '82 F-250, 3rd was a '90 Dodge Dakota and currently I'm driving a '13 Chevy Silverado 1500. I hit my head EVERY STINKING TIME getting into the Chevy truck. I have about 1" of clearance between the top of my head and the roof while driving. I don't remember having that problem with my other trucks. My line of sight in the Chevy is right at the top of the windshield, I never see the sky while driving.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
So nobody jumped in the box? :D
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Here is my best store about a small cab and large guys: My friend John was at least 6'8" and built big enough to fill up a doorway in all respects. He and a similarly sized companion were fishing in Alaska some years ago when a game warden in a little Ranger came up to check their licenses, etc. The trooper was a big guy also as this story goes...and about the time all the documents were checked, they all heard a splashing along the opposite side of the creek. A VERY large brown bear was coming their way!!! When asked, John said they immediately all got in the cab of the truck -- and noted that it was a lot easier than you might imagine... I envision they were all pressed up against the glass like pickles in a jar.
Chuck

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
What's your preference Jerry, old time in person auctions or eBay type transactions?
I seldom buy off the auction site eBay but sometimes have to just to get a part or what I want.
I prefer in person type Auctions if it's one with tools, machinery, and interesting stuff. I'm an instant gratification type buyer who wants to win now and take it home that day. I bought my 84 F150 through ebay auction and was a nervous wreck until the day I actually got to touch my win...lol

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
I acquired the 72 F250 on Ebay, a birthday present for ME! The seller offered to trailer it 250 miles for the gas cost, so I said sure! Had great fun redoing that truck...all in the front driveway, to the neighbors dismay. Used it to haul the late 50s Tejas Maid ski-boat that I restored, powered by 2 late 50s Evinrude & Jounson 35 hp Big Twin outboards...restored those, too. Had the whole rig parked out front & snapped some pix...when the kid's college tuition bill came in I posted it all on Ebay just for giggles. And it sold to a guy 7 hours south down by San Antonio! He flew in, I picked him up at the airport, collected the Benjamin's, wrote a bill of sale...signed the titles and he drove off into the sunset. Paid for 2 semesters tuition with the proceeds, but had to go scrounging for another ride...a fairly decent Dodge Dakota that was kinda ragged out, but restorable.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Have an in person auction coming up next Saturday. About a mile from my house. Will go early to see what's there and put in proxy bid if I see anything I like. They usually have a wide range of stuff/junk.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I'm a swap meet guy as far as my personal preferences go. I already mentioned why auctions aren't my thing \:rolleyes: and eBay purchases can be pretty spendy by the time I get something shipped to me in Ontario, plus the currency exchange and customs/broker fees. It's often ends up double what the eBay item price was by the time it's in my hands. So I have to really need or want whatever it is.

I seldom buy off the auction site eBay but sometimes have to just to get a part or what I want.
I prefer in person type Auctions if it's one with tools, machinery, and interesting stuff. I'm an instant gratification type buyer who wants to win now and take it home that day. I bought my 84 F150 through ebay auction and was a nervous wreck until the day I actually got to touch my win...lol

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
We have a BIG swap/trades day not far from here...down on the blacklands in North Tejas called "First Monday Trade Days." Quite a deal, anything from Elvis on velvet wall hangings to crafts to plants to monkeys/pets and farm livestock. There's a website...everyone should visit it at least once, but not in June/July/August/September. Wait until the cooler months of the year and bring your comfy sneakers.

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Paint job completed.
My $5 headache rack with rails.
With paint it's $27 plus 6 hours easy labor.
I wire brushed it with a drill to clean up the rust spots.
Can't wait to get a Weatherguard tool box back on.
Opinions: Should I mount a yellow flashing emergency light on the rack and carry my fluorescent green hard hat with me?
Bwahahahaha....

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Here's my auction $1 water pump and my $40 windmill tower.
The tower was actually 35 feet in 4 sections but I disassembled the lower section and repaired and assembled the 3 upper sections. Now it's 23 feet. I'll be standing it up before winter as a Trumpet Vine trellis..
I have no idea if the pump runs or not, it was an impulse buy just as a project. It won't get much time or money put into it unless I see real potential..
Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape Water
Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas

·
Registered
436 Posts
Paint job completed.
My $5 headache rack with rails.
With paint it's $27 plus 6 hours easy labor.
I wire brushed it with a drill to clean up the rust spots.
Can't wait to get a Weatherguard tool box back on.
Opinions: Should I mount a yellow flashing emergency light on the rack and carry my fluorescent green hard hat with me?
Bwahahahaha....

View attachment 284374 View attachment 284375 View attachment 284376
Nice job on the rack! In my neck of the woods, the yellow light would require a permit from the state. My suggestion is to mount some 6 foot long antennas on the top of the rack, the kind that swing and sway as you drive down the road.

·
Registered
436 Posts
What's your preference Jerry, old time in person auctions or eBay type transactions?
I know you asked Jerry, but I use a third alternative. Since I'm crippled up too much to walk around swap meets and flea markets or even sit for hours at an in person auction, I use online auction brokers like Proxibid and Hibid. Almost all the local auctioneers in my area list their stuff on these sites and I can check out the photos, read the descriptions and place bids from my comfy chair in my living room. I only need to leave the house if I win something and need to pick it up. Often those trips to pick up stuff end up being a date with my wife as we explore the small villages in PA. Proxibid currently only shows 5 auctions in all of Canada. Hibid shows 386 auctions in Canada at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
I enjoy a good in person auction. I also like watching the Wednesday auction on Auctiontime. They sell some interesting farm stuff and some really strange things sometimes. They have about 5 tabs of equipment going at one time, moves pretty quick. Never bought from there, I wouldn't admit to how many hours I've watched. :ROFLMAO:

My son and I are currently watching a slower auction for an old truck. It doesn't end until the end of the month. We are ready to bid but, don't want to drive the price up.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Stopped over at the auction this morning. Nothing really caught my eye to stay and bid on.
Bolens tube frame GT with plow went for $50. David Bradley walk behind with bunch of implements went for $50 also. JD 1032 snowblower with hole in gas tank and turned over went for $25.
Plant Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wood

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

Reactions: jd_joe
21 - 39 of 39 Posts