Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install some agricultural tires on the 316 with the tiller mounted on it in the picture.

What tires are the best? what size for a 300 series? how much $ are they and where to buy?

A picture as well as size make and model would be Awesome!

Thanks!

twin 316s.jpg

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Firestone 23 high flotation are the best IMO for rears

Reactions: Jenson

·
Premium Member
8,113 Posts
Jensen,

If this is a dedicated tiller tractor (or otherwise does not get mower deck duty -- I see a second unit set up for mowing...) then there should be no issue with using 26x12.00 - 12 tires. Here are two pictures of my 322 set up for tilling, the one from several years ago had the 23 inch Goodyear ags on and the later picture shows the 26x12.00 - 12 turf tires and 18x8.50 - 10 fronts.

terracing and tilling the side yard.jpg 92 322 with tiller and front weights.jpg

Some ag tires run small, so do not avoid the 26 inch sizes in your search.

For tilling, I think the Vredestein V61 ribs would be a good choice...

If this tractor gets lots of chores and is not dedicated to tilling, you should also consider the All-Trail tread pattern which is more aggressive than turf tread but still not an issue as to riding smooth on hard surfaces or difficult for fitting chains if needed.

Chuck

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Vredestein V61 or deestone tri ribs for the front depending on the look you like

I have deestone tri ribs on my 140 and like them even if they are not on narrow rims

Reactions: Jenson

·
Registered
770 Posts
I really like the Tru Powers on the rear and V61's on the front. They are flat enough to not tear up the lawn and they really bite on the pavement pushing show. I have turf tires as well but never change them.
332 tires.JPG

DSC_0347.JPG

I had a set of 26's for the 420 and tried them for a while moving trailers but for mowing I like the 23's.

tru 26.JPG

·
Registered
86 Posts
although it is a 140, here are Firestone 16x6.50-8 Tri ribs on the front and Deestone 23x10.50-12 on the rear (seem run a little undersize)

IMG_8711.JPG

If you are not going to use the deck you may get away with Carlisle tru power 26x12-12 on the rear as shown on my 69 140 below. Those are 16x6.50-8 Vedestein V61's on the front.

IMG_2889.jpg

Deestone tri ribs on narrow rims.

DSCF5214.JPG

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GO BIG OR STAY HOME.
Just kidding, listen to Chuck.
He will not lead you astray.
View attachment 84034
This picture was very inspirational to me... This is not the look I was going for with the 316 tiller, I want it to be AG all the way!

So inspirational, I bought a 317 yesterday! The lines on the closed frame 300's are sexy! Show me more of this Tractor! what are the dimensions of the tires?

Thanks,

My name is Jenson and I am an addict...

317 on trailer.jpg
Kohler KT17.jpg

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GREAT advice from all!

Rear;
I like the True Power 26X12-12 for the rear!
True Power.jpg

Front;

What do the narrow rims come from?

With the wide rim fronts the coolest ones appear to be the Firestones James has on his 140. $70 a piece makes me cringe... luckily they are out of stock through Miller.
Firestone.jpg

Line up 2.jpg

Jenson

·
Registered
86 Posts
I believe the narrow rims were optional or available as an accessory from dealer, I believe NLA. Sometimes they are available on eBay. I cut an old set down to make narrow wheels.

wheel.JPG

DSCF5207.JPG

DSCF5206.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I like mine black. They say if you go black you won't go back.
I use all bar tires. I don't have issues with lawn use nor tire chain install. I just don't care for turf tires. They make a garden tractor look like a lawn mower. But that's me. Others may feel the same ! Individual results may vary. Some restrictions apply. Follow all label instructions.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have 26x12x12 Tru Powers on the back and Vredestein V61 18x8.5x8 on the front of my 420. I think the V61s are a big improvement over turf tires is most applications. They seem to clean themselves off pretty well in wet dirt/mud. The 26x12x12 Tru Powers ride really nice too. I use my tractor for a lot of tilling and snow removal.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Jenson,
My big and fat tires are 18x9.5-8 turfs on 400 JD 7x8 on the front.
26.5x14.00-12 Carlisle UltraTracs on 10.5x12 JD wheels on the rear.

My other tires are 18x8.5-8 V61's on early JD 420-430 rims on the front.
26x12-12 Firestone 23 degree flotations on JD 9.5x12 wheels on the rear.
image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
I love the look of the 26x12-12 Firestone 23 degree tires, it's the $185 per tire plus shipping that keeps me from buying a pair. Are they worth it?

tire.JPG

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I love the look of the 26x12-12 Firestone 23 degree tires, it's the $185 per tire plus shipping that keeps me from buying a pair. Are they worth it?

View attachment 85010
I don't have any trouble with them.........................But they have wide open spaces between the lugs and the ends of the lugs lean in. Not a problem for me other than they look timid compared to a True-Power. Especially if you have each and they set side by side.

But don't take my word for it; I only till garden and cut grass. You need feedback from guys who pull a plow, if that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
134 Posts
There is and will be lots of discussion on bar tires- I have Goodyear 23x10.5x12 and they work well plowing dirt or snow. Just add lots of weight.
That said, this pic helps to explain the differences between tire brands- Deestone and HiRun tend to be small.

GT lug tires.jpg

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
true powers remind me of Lego tires, too square looking

1 - 19 of 19 Posts