Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just added the taller chute off a walk behind to my 49 and was thinking of this summer making the rotation electric, but I'm wondering what ideas people have for the switch. I'm guessing a hand operated toggle would be easiest, but between running the hydro control with the right and thrower lift/tractor steering with the left, whats a good place to mount the switch for the chute control? A foot pedal seems at first glance to be the best, but....
Keep in mind I' not very coordinated.

82576431_622396318332585_942070590699732992_n.jpg 82785111_3368418549895820_1640847987208880128_n.jpg

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I have rebuilt 3 model 49 snow throwers with model 46/50 hydraulic chute rotaters activated by H2 lever on open/closed frame 3XX tractors. When set up properly so they do not bind or have excessive slop in the cable system; they perform like a dream.

Adjusting the chute position is not a full time job so location is not a major decision. Like manual adjusters you set the position and go. Most adjustments are made when you turn around and head the opposite direction. You set the direction of blown material and go with only minor adjustments between runs.

Here is the last one I put together from a bunch of parts I had laying around and could not sell ... Buyer of the 318 shown in post would not take tractor unless I sold him the model 49 also ... https://www.wfmachines.com/forums/showthread.php/111722-One-more-model-49-restoration?highlight=southwest+wisconsin

Gabby

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have rebuilt 3 model 49 snow throwers with model 46/50 hydraulic chute rotaters activated by H2 lever on open/closed frame 3XX tractors. When set up properly so they do not bind or have excessive slop in the cable system; they perform like a dream.

Adjusting the chute position is not a full time job so location is not a major decision. Like manual adjusters you set the position and go. Most adjustments are made when you turn around and head the opposite direction. You set the direction of blown material and go with only minor adjustments between runs.

Gabby
A hyd control would be great (and you do great work Gabby! I'm jealous!) but I have a 316 H1. The 318's aren't running yet. My driveway is like a small cul-de-sac between my house, garage, and detatched garage along with vehicles in the driveway so I end up doing a lot of turning around and backing up and repositioning the chute as to not toss the snow against a structure or vehicle.

But your H2 suggestion made me think... what about an electric 'thumb switch' like a pilot joystick on the H1 lever? Anybody ever tried anything like that? Nothing fancy, just a rocker or toggle attached near the top of the H1 lever so I could rotate the chute while backing up and raising the blower.

Anybody have any thoughts? Bueller? Bueller?

·
Registered
539 Posts
you want something like this on the Hydro lever,

https://www.warn.com/mini-rocker-control-switch-80588

or I have some switch's at Home Ill take a Pic of and send you.
they are a rocker switch I had for Electric Actuator for power angle on my ATV snow Plow.
I blew out the Actuator but the switch is still good.

if you want to try one of them I'll sell it to you when we due the meet for tire swap in a few weeks.

Ill try and send you pics tomorrow of that rocker that I have and could sell.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, like that. Is the rocker easy to use with mittens though? After looking at the size of some joystick type switches I was thinking of a toggle switch in a small box attached to the Hydro Lever. Pics would be great when you have time.

·
Registered
539 Posts
the one I have at home is it work great.

it Used it for power angle on my ATV snow blade. I hit the curb with leading edge of the blade and blew the actuator up. This after 4 years of hard use and the next winter I moved and didn't need the power angle as much so I went back to the angle by hand on my ATV blade still have the actuator sitting in a drawer for all the good it does me. But I know right where the Rocker switch is its with my stock pile of Misc ATV Electric stuff.

its bigger than what I linked to but fit in good on the ATV Handle bar.

I should have you a picture tomorrow sometime of what I have.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've been chewing on the same thing lately, i think i'm going to add a 2 way (reversable polarity) pigtail to the front of my tractor using fairly heavy gauge cable, and put a 'on-off-on' toggle on my dashboard, just by drilling a hole.

i'm going to use a power seat, window or wiper motor to actuate the chute

i haven't decided yet if i'm going to replace the lower half of the 'sandwich' that holds the chute on with a toothed one so i can gear drive it, or if i'm going to keep the cable arrangement and fabricate a spool in the stock location.

either way driving it by hand isn't a big deal, i have the cable system pretty well dialed in, but its annoying for removing it and installing it having to fight with the bracket, and i want to put that pigtail out to the front of the tractor anyhow for some other implements i have in mind.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The thoughts running through my head at the moment is to do similar to what lgates110 did https://www.wfmachines.com/forums/showthread.php/3058-49-blower-chute-control/page2?highlight=electric+chute+control, but since I don't have a welder I was thinking of a couple straps, one in front of the spool and one behind it so the shaft through them would keep it from moving forward or back. The window motors I got have a 6 tooth plastic gear on them, and it's an odd size. tried metric and standard sockets but it doesn't match up with either. Just have to figure out how to attach the gear to the shaft through the wire spool.
The metal pin in the center of the plastic gear does not turn. I know the motor in the picture is more than 6 teeth, but thats off the internet. I don't have a photo of the one I actually have.
s10 window motor.jpg

·
Registered
141 Posts
yeah i like using the power seat motors- i have used mid 90's buick and pontiacs- use a 1/4" square driveshaft that passes-thru the motor, and a flex shaft cable arrangement with the same 1/4" square which comes in handy. you could probably use some JB weld or plumbers putty to build up around the gear and 'cast' it into the flatted-round drive feature on the stock spool, or make a smaller spool to avoid the 'quick and jerky' movement.

my thinking was instead of the little bolted on hold-down tabs on the underside of the chute flange, just laser cut a gear in 2 segments (my old airens snowblower setup like this) and bolt that on as both the retainer and the gear drive. i do like keeping the cable for some reason, i dunno, i'm a sucker for trying to not make permanent changes but my '49 is a far sight from ever ending up in a museum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts