Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now my battery is dead..I did everything that chuck said to do step by step..wondering if I missed something.

·
Registered
275 Posts
con·text

/ˈkäntekst/

noun

the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
con·text

/ˈkäntekst/

noun

the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
? What do you mean

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
At this point, pics are necessary.

It's possible the wiring isnt correct.
There is a tricky part to wiring it correctly, cause they change color. I posted this before, but I'd like to see yours.
Or maybe the batt has an issue.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I'll send pictures tomorrow..just keeping in mind the battery started the tractor just fine after the installation of the relay. went and tried to start it to cut today and It was dead..it's been roughly a month and the outside temp has been the same.

·
Registered
75 Posts
A month since the relay installation
The problem here is you did not post a description of the problem with, perhaps, links to your previous threads. It's a stretch expecting the one or three guys who helped you last time to see your post and know what is going on. For the other few dozen folks here who can help you, your post made no sense at all. Archerace was saying that your post had no context, or history.

If your battery was fully charged when you put the tractor away for the month, then there is either a parasitic load (something is using electricity, like a light bulb that was left on - though I know you did not leave tractor lights on - that's too obvious), or something was hooked up improperly, and you have current flow (same as the light bulb left on). Either parasitic load or current flow due to wrong wiring will discharge the battery over time. When a lead acid battery is discharged below around 60%, it may lose some sponge lead from the plates. This decreases the battery's capacity, it might short out a cell, or you might not experience any problem at all w/ the battery. Discharging it all the way down is absolutely detrimental to the battery. AGM batteries are somewhat more robust and durable, but they too, don't like a full discharge.

Post the pictures, but you also might try this. Disconnect the battery - one of the two cables to it will do - and charge it up. Clean the terminal. With lights off, in a darkened garage/barn, touch the wire to the battery and look for a small spark. If everything on the tractor is turned off, you should have no current flow and no spark at all. Of course you could use a multimeter to measure current flow, but iirc, you said you were an electrical novice in one of your threads. The spark test is the quick and dirty way to check this. You can remove the wire and touch it again if you were not sure about the spark. Note that for low current flow, you might not get a spark big enough to see, but it can still discharge the battery over time.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I always disconnect the red/Pos cable from the battery post after I finish and park my equipment...don't like schlepping batteries.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I jumped it and was able to cut some grass...then shut the pto off so I could fuel up..was gunna go mow again and the blades won't turn on..the light on the dash comes on but it doesn't kick the blades on

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Could you remove the tape from the relay?
I need to see the wires and which locations they go to on that relay

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Here is a standard 5 terminal relay and how it should be wired.

If you have a 4 terminal relay, that's ok. The center terminal is left out and not used for this.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
It looks to be wired correctly.
The green wire from harness needs batt voltage when key is on. Remove relay and turn key on, using dvom, check for power at relay terminal for purple wire.
If that's good, then plug relay in, you should hear and feel it click.
Check other purple wire going to regulator. This is your clean voltage from red wire.
This is voltage regulator uses to determine charge rate.

Charge the battery up. Get the tractor running and check the charging voltage. It should be 13.5 to 14.7 volts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hand Circuit component Hardware programmer Hood Electrical wiring

It looks to be wired correctly.
The green wire from harness needs batt voltage when key is on. Remove relay and turn key on, using dvom, check for power at relay terminal for purple wire.
If that's good, then plug relay in, you should hear and feel it click.
Check other purple wire going to regulator. This is your clean voltage from red wire.
This is voltage regulator uses to determine charge rate.

Charge the battery up. Get the tractor running and check the charging voltage. It should be 13.5 to 14.7 volts.
Ok cool..what does dvom stand for?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts