·
Registered
275 Posts
Yep, sounds like a good plan.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
i had a major brain fart or something..ill do what rwmeyer said to do tomorrow sometime and record all the readings and get back with you guys.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
You'll be looking to check DC voltage. From your pic of the meter, the leads are connected correctly, the red lead in the red terminal and have to assume the black lead is in the black terminal (not showing in pic). Turn selector knob on meter 2 "clicks" CW and the white dot will point to the V with the straight line and dash lines under that. This represents DC volts. Put red meter lead on positive battery terminal and black lead on negative battery terminal. You should see a number on the screen like 12.7 more or less. This is the present battery voltage and you should record this on a piece of paper to post here later! Next, start & warm engine, and place meter on battery terminals again. Not sure of exact reading, but probably close to your original 12.7. Next go full throttle and measure voltage at battery terminals again. You should see, as Skwirl stated "13.5 to 14.7 volts." Record reading. Still at full throttle, turn lights on, measure battery voltage, and record. Finally, turn pto on, measure battery voltage, and record. Report back here with findings/recorded info:
Battery: xx.x volts
Battery WOT (Wide Open Throttle): xx.x volts
Battery lights on: xx.x volts
Battery pto on: xx.x volts

You can leave lights on when checking voltage with pto on, put please note this. And if lights are turned off, note this also! Someone will follow through with what your findings mean. Bob
I'm going to do all this tomorrow, thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
ok..the battery read 12.79 just after charge no cables attached
12.8 4 hours later- again no cables attached
12.78 24hours later no cables attached
12.77 after a couple days no cables
12.76 no cables after a few more days.

12.76 with cables attached not running
12.52 running at idle
12.51 at wide open throttle
12.40 wide open throttle with pto engaged
12.30 wide open throttle with pto engaged with the headlights on.
12.76 after tests without the battery cables attached.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
It's not charging.

Running tractor would be 13.2 to 14.7 volts.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I'm thinking added relay is not wired correctly. @1990 332, is there any type of schematic printed/molded onto the relay? If so, could you post a pic here AND tell us what color wires go to what terminals. Mark one of the purple wires with tape! Here's the typical schematic...
Facial expression Rectangle Font Parallel Circle

It may take a while, but we'll get you up & runnin' Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Heres a pic, try to reference to your tractor.

Circuit component Handwriting Font Creative arts Child art

Heres a pic of my melted plug.
The green wire with red arrow is the one you splice the relay into.
Not the green wire with blue arrow.

Circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Electronic component

You most likely have a bad voltage regulator.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Also, you could do a quick check on your glow plug circuit. If the GP relay is fubar, it can fail in a way that GPs stay on rather than timing out. They suck enough voltage to stop any battery charging.

Easy to check, just meter the voltage at one of the plugs and verify they shut off after ~30 seconds of running.

On wiring the VR: when I put mine in, I had the green wires hooked up backwards, which gave me a dash light and no charging.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts