Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help point me in the right direction, my steering is getting pretty sloppy on my 185, I'm wondering where to start with when trying to tighten it up? Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Get a helper to turn the wheel left and right to the extent of the play in the steering and you can follow the parts from the steering shaft along through the various pieces to see what's moving and what's not. From my experience the support that bolts to the bottom of the frame (Part 18 in the JD Parts diagram) can come loose creating play in the steering. There are a number of bushings that are likely worn out too.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Mounted the tiller. THe belt idler pulley is about 1/16th inch from rubbing on the inboard side of the rear tire. I took said items from tiller and tried to m,ake an adjustment. There isn't any.

If I'd move the idler away from the tire, it rubs on other tiller parts.

Is it normal to have the idler just about rubbing on the tire?

I tried replacing the idler, thinking there was some slop/wobble in the bearing. It didn't make any difference.

These are factory wheel rims with factory size rear tires. The tires are Carlisle I think is how it's spelled.....and they are bar tires, not turf tires.

Would turf tires be narrower than bar???? You are not supposed to use bar tires w/a tiller???

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Maybe you need to put the tires on the opposite sides like Roger suggested. Should be plenty of room then.

Dom

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
No. They are in the normal position. I suspect that the normal position is where they need to be as folks claim that with the two (tiller) extensions, the tiller width covers the tracks of the tractor tires.............

How would that be possible w/the rear tires in the wide position?

I ordered an operator manual. I hope it will shed some light.

Found that I can only raise it 10inches as the chain guard strikes the back of the right rear tractor tire. The transport height spec is 14 inches. That just isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Got any pictures with it mounted? I use my 31 tiller on my 1976 212 with the tires in the normal position and it works fine. I do have turf tires, but they are still the same size I believe - 23x10.50-12

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Steven to put the wheels in the wide position you with ag tires put the wheel on the right side on the left side and vice versa with the bars pointing the right direction. According to my JD manual the reversing only makes the wheel spread 2 1/2 inches wider. Roger

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Roger, do you operate your 214 and tiller w/the rear tires in the wide or narrow position?

All the pictures I have seen as well as you tube videos, show the 200 series and tiller with turf tires and they are in the narrow setting.

I'm also looking at ebay pictures as well........

At one time I had turf tires mounted on rims and I got rid of them. I installed them one time in the wide position and it was way way way more than 2 1/2 inches wider. They may not have been Deere brand wheels either, but I'm hesitant to swap the rear tires side to side.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Mine was in the narrow position and I never had trouble with the belt being as close as yours. The problem with them on my tractor was installing the tiller. When you had the spring pins locked open to install the tiller they hit the tires trying to put it on. Once it was on and the pins in there wasn't a problem with the belts hitting. I have used mine with the tires in both the wide and narrow position and never had ground untilled because of the wide stance. Roger

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Scott,
I don't really worry about tires being wider than the tiller as I overlap anyway and often do my garden both east to west and north to south. If I had a hydraulic tiller i may stress about it but I'd say, put them in the wide spot and overlap your passes. Enjoy the smell of the earth while you get 3 more minutes of seat time.
Dom

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I'm not following the "overlap your passes" suggestion.

If the tiller is narrower than the tracks of the tractor.................what is there to overlap?

You can make a dozen passes, the tiller is still going to be narrower than the tractor tracks, on each side.

My rear bar tires are Carlisle. They are 10 3/4 inches wide. The other tractor uses Duro brand bar tires and they are 10 1/4 inches wide. I may try swapping the Duro for the Carlisle brand.

I too had a problem getting the tiller spring pins to function. I had to operate them in stages as I set the tiller between the rear tires and then finagle them locking pins. That was fun!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Scott,
When you get to the end of the garden and turn around, run your rear tire in the tilled area 4-8 inches so that you are tilling a little of the area twice. I have an extension on each side and my tires still extend beyond the tiller on both sides,
An extra pass or two to finish the garden is no big deal.
Dom

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dom, what you're saying makes sense but I think Scott is saying that even though the whole garden gets tilled, you're still leaving tire tracks behind. It's kind of nice to look when you're done and only see fresh tilled soil with no tracks.

Scott, I'm interested to hear if the Duro tires make a difference. I'm thinking about getting some bar tires for my 212 but I need them to work with my tiller.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I will be swapping them. They both are loaded with wheel weights so I can't just unbolt them.......

And I have taken the tiller apart for minor repair and paint.

I don't know what Deere used in the 1980's for a bar tire. I'd suspect it was Goodyear. These Carlisle tires are real wide and the bars go all the way to the sidewall. That is another clearance problem. Duro tire bar tread stops short and the sidewalls are free of the bar.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Scott, I have a '73 110 with 31 tiller one extension and I run Carlisle super lugs in the wide position. I do not have any trouble with rubbing while tilling. Little overlap and it turns out well. I will post a picture of a garden i tilled. I have also used my 39 deck with the same tire set up and even cleared the gauge wheels. Tires are 23-10.50-12. And yes the lugs do extend to the sidewalls. My tiller is also apart, im adding an extension to cover the tires a little better.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.