Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So from my previous tractors that I sold to get the X740 I kept three sets of JD wheel weights . Might be excessive to install three per side but I have them so why not . I also have a Buford Bucket that I am going to adapt to this machine .

I made some measurements and " thought " that 12 " long carriage bolts would do it . Nope . And that's the longest I could find locally . I just ordered 14 " online . Those will probably have to be trimmed but I know they are long enough 馃構

Premium Member
Most wheel weights have tapped holes in them so you can add weights using proper length bolts from the outside of the added weight...you only need carriage bolts on the inner most weight of the stack.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Chuck

Super Moderator
I'm pretty sure only the 72-75 lbs starter weights only have the threaded holes.
JDParts show a threaded rod to attach the next set of weights. It has a hefty price tag,almost $40.00.

Registered
Before I had brackets and suitcase weights I added a second set of wheel weights using concrete wedge anchors for one or two winters. They were easy to get on and off and stayed (pretty much) in place securely. Definitely not the best option for a mostly permanent install, but not bad for special projects where a bit more weight is needed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The carriage bolts I ordered are shipping today per email update . I will post a pic of the installed weights . To hold and push the weights in place I am using a 1/2" x 36" steel rod and a jack stand . A relatively easy way for one man to install and still keep 10 fingers 馃構

Registered
I thought you bolted 2 carriage bolts through the first weight before installing, which gives 鈥渟tuds鈥 to mount the next weight?

Registered
I thought you bolted 2 carriage bolts through the first weight before installing, which gives 鈥渟tuds鈥 to mount the next weight?
for putting 2 weights on my 140 I was able to get carrige bolts that was long enough to make it threw from rim to both wheel weights. For doing 3 weights I don't know that's why Im following along on this. I have a 3rd set but for my 140 2 is more than enough plus a 3rd set would really stick out from the tires.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The post office just delivered my 14" long carriage bolts so tomorrow I will install the weights . While they will " stick out " they will be way inside the width of the 60" deck . I will post pics .

Registered
Yep just like that except I am lifting the rod with weights on it by hand on to the jackstand . I may try my floor jack after seeing your pic .
I want to say I set up the floor jack and jack stand and go the bar lined up to the Top Hole on the rim, Then swung the bar off jackstand to floor level slid the 2 weights on to it picked up pivoted over onto Jack stand and then slid rod into to hole remove jack stand then slide weights over to rim and gots the bolts to go threw then and done.

Registered
So from my previous tractors that I sold to get the X740 I kept three sets of JD wheel weights . Might be excessive to install three per side but I have them so why not . I also have a Buford Bucket that I am going to adapt to this machine . I made some measurements and " thought " that 12 " long carriage bolts would do it . Nope . And that's the longest I could find locally . I just ordered 14 " online . Those will probably have to be trimmed but I know they are long enough 馃構
Kinda hard on outside axle bearings maybe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts