Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a set of the 70+lb plastic-covered wheel weights for my 316. dumb question: I assume the way to install them is to remove the wheels, attach the weights, then reinstall the wheels, but I thought I'd check here first.

thanks

ken

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Ken, Nope! No need to remove wheels...and if you did, weights would be in the way to reinstall the wheels!

Get carriage bolts threaded all the way to the head. Slip bolt through wheel from the inside and add a nut & washer to the bolt. If you have threaded rod, you can also use that with two nuts. Now comes the hard part! Manhandle the weights onto the studs...nuts prevent bolts/studs from falling out. Install washers & nuts and done. Bob

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
The need for an aid/tool is real clear when you deal with fluid-loaded tires in the mix. Very heavy...almost as much fun as the weights, put the 2 together and you gotta have a tool & strategy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The need for an aid/tool is real clear when you deal with fluid-loaded tires in the mix. Very heavy...almost as much fun as the weights, put the 2 together and you gotta have a tool & strategy.
my driveway is long but almost flat so I've decided to see if the weights are sufficient for plowing before I try filling the tires.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is it a good idea, or not necessary, to remove the weights after plowing season? the 316 is only used as a backup mower during the summer and normally only is used for about 30 minutes every couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I mowed with my 314 for 30+ years with loaded rear tires and double weights on each side. It's easier to leave them on than to remove & carry to store in spring, and then carry & install in the winter. Bob

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mowed with my 314 for 30+ years with loaded rear tires and double weights on each side. It's easier to leave them on than to remove & carry to store in spring, and then carry & install in the winter. Bob
that's the answer I was hoping for!!

thanks

ken

·
Registered
716 Posts
If I remember correctly the plastic weights are a bit easier than the cast weights. Its been a few years since I've used some but I remember that they slide into the wheel a bit, making them easier to hold in place. I also remember that they would become stuck inside the rim and can be a pain to remove.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I remember correctly the plastic weights are a bit easier than the cast weights. Its been a few years since I've used some but I remember that they slide into the wheel a bit, making them easier to hold in place. I also remember that they would become stuck inside the rim and can be a pain to remove.
yes, the plastic-covered weights snug up right against the wheel. there are 5 recesses on the back side of the weights to accommodate the thickness of the wheel lug nuts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Once you shove the plastic ones in place they will stay there. I put a light behind the wheel to see if the holes in the wieght and rim are lined up then put the carriage bolts in from the back.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
plastic weights when they crack, start to rust with the steel inside and swell up

hit them with some wd40 and it can break free easier

Never had an issue with cast starter weights installing by hand and hold in place with my knee while bolting

1 - 14 of 14 Posts