Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a big tractor guy but I have had this old John Deere 112 lawn tractor for around 35 years. Bought it in Shreveport, LA, used, and brought it with me to Central Florida where it has worked for me mowing the one acre I have cleared and dragging a trailer, and fertilizer box around. I have rebuilt the deck bearings a couple of times. Changed out the bad capacitor and relocated it. I've replaced the electric lift at least once. In the past I've had to have the variable pulley serviced. It needed it again just recently but I didn't want to deal with it. The JD dealer locally was unable to figure out why the machine was behaving the way it was and yet charged me almost $600 trying things. Then they admitted that they don't even have the manuals for that old of tractor. Fortunately, the previous owner was a friend and let me borrow it and make copies. Anyway, it was soon becoming cost prohibitive to replace the parts at this point so I took it apart myself. Being a wannabe machinist I turned down and polished the fixed pulley shaft and pressed in a new bushing in the movable half of the pulley made from acetal. It's just an experiment so we will see how long it lasts. It doesn't go as fast as it should in 4th but it goes fast enough to mow. Ha! I believe it has a Kohler motor and has been a really reliable one. I hope to get the last drop out of this old girl before I give her up. The dealer was just too eager to sell a new one.
I have 2 questions: I was looking for a replacement seat. Question 1, Is this thing an antique as I saw one on Ebay for over $400. Question 2, Any suggestions on where to get one?

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
i:welcome:I think JD has new seats about $150. If you have a patio, red, orange, yellow or blue a few years back they were around $1000. If you have the original steel seat pan you can get a new JD licensed seat cover from HAPCO. look at vendors at top of the page

·
Super Moderator
3,693 Posts
:welcome:

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
:welcome: Don't give up on it!

The last I looked Hapco was sold out of seat covers, but are a great resource for other parts. Check them out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts