Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am looking to add another John deere to my collection but this is the question I have I am looking at a 345 the guy that is selling it says he took it to a John deere dealer and they said it needed a top crank bearing and seal was bad. The dealer said a new motor was the only choice. Is that true or is this able to be fixed? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The top bearing and seal can be replaced. The crank may be bad and then would have to be replaced. You can't get undersized bearings for the top or bottom. If it is 18HP with the FD590V motor in it (SN <70,000)it may still have the cam with the fiber gear in it and it should be replaced also. I just replace a cam and rings in one and didn't have to do the bearings, valves, or crank and have about $500 in parts. But they are very good tractors. It had 1500 hours on it and the cylinder had very little ware.

·
Administrator
6,328 Posts
Nick,
FYI, the 345 is a newer tractor and belongs in the Late Model Forums. The Restoration and Repair forums are for equipment and tractors built prior to 1992 mainly.

·
Registered
134 Posts
my guess is the seal ain't bad. what happens is the fuel pump leaks internally and thins the oil thus starving the upper "bushing" not bearing.mine was locked up tight when i bought it for $400.took it apart and worked it for a couple days to get it freed up enough to pull the crank,then had to pull one piston/rod assy out to get the crank out.crank was fine but bushing was scored pretty bad.after about 600 bucks worth of parts (which included a new cam,fuel pump,gaskets,bushing and rings for one piston. its back mowing again.or was until the starter drive took a dump.so the last mow of the year was with the 430.otherwise i love the foot hydro.makes for some fast mowing.do wish i had a 355 though i love my diesels too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi all,
I'm trying to order some parts for my tractor and one of the things I need are some parts for the actuator on my electric lift. I know the tractor came from the factory as a manual lift, and the owner put the "lectra lift" accessory kit on the tractor. What are the differences between the factory electric lift and the lectra lift accessory? Do they use the same actuator?
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
On a slightly different note, does anyone know of a place that I can send my actuator to be rebuilt? I talked with a dealer and the parts for the actuator are still available, but I'd like to have a professional rebuild it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The dealership I talked to said that the actuator as an entire unit is not for sale anymore, but that the individual parts that make it up are. In the first link I posted it would be parts 1,7,11,and 16

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm in a bit of a conundrum with the electric lift, and I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice. I'm sure getting the electric actuator rebuilt will be fairly pricey. I've seen some of the hydraulic lift kits on e-bay for $500 shipped to my door. If it were you, would you fix the electric lift, convert over to hydraulic, or try and find a modern replacement for the actuator?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Josh , it would probably make things easier if you clarify some things .

1 . What yr & model tractor are we talking about ?

2 . What kind of problem are you having with the E-lift ?

These 2 are more for curiosities sake .

3 . What do you plan to use the tractor for ?

4 . How do you know the E-lift was added ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.