Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Is this a distance record for a RF?

5K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  tmac58star 
#1 ·

See less See more
#4 ·
The Straight Story is undoubtedly right up there at the top of my favorite movies. It's not all about the '66 110, but life and circumstances of how some people deal with them.
Richard Farnsworth and Sissy Spacek did a great job in the movie. Very believable true story without too much Hollywood enhancement. I'm betting you will watch it more than once if you can find a copy.

tommyhawk

#7 ·
I just watched the 2-minute trailer and it appears that he started out driving not a 110, but something red, in the end he was on the 110.

#14 ·
That is one long a$$ drive lol.

#17 ·
After reading the wiki article, I figured out the 3 units (assuming it wasn't NOS) that he could've gotten from Texas Equipment Company, either a GT262, 325, GT325, or whoever typed the wiki page mistyped 17hp.
Yes that's the type of stuff I research. :LOL:

Reactions: sublime68charger
#20 ·
Depends on if it was given to him in ‘94 or ‘95/later

#23 ·
The plastic cam gears were on the 325s until 1998 or there's about. They're still fixable even when the gear breaks. The other problem the 3X5 series had was the fuel pump dripping onto a hot exhaust causing fires. There is a fix for that as well, a new fuel pump that doesn't have the leaking problem.

#24 ·
I dug out the "Straight Story" DVD today and discovered a news paper clipping one of my co workers had given me long before I found out a movie had been made. Of course Disney had to add a little more to the story than the news paper had written. Watched it again today! Just as good as the first time.
Army, I noticed on the DVD box "Not sold in Canada". What the h? Maybe someone has smuggled one in to the local library by now.

Rectangle Font Handwriting Paper Parallel

tommyhawk

#25 ·
There's always been a rather paranoid effort by Canada to promote homegrown movies and TV shows. To the point where some US stuff isn't allowed to be imported. Like that CD. No clue what the justification for banning that particular movie is. I doubt there actually is a good reason. There's even a Canadian version of Netflix. Between Canadian content rules and technology making the equipment required far less expensive, there's lots of stupid movies and TV shows that should be raspberry'd into oblivion. I can hardly believe how bad some of them are.

#28 ·
Red Green or Straight Story? I see you just joined recently. Welcome aboard ;)
It is available in Disney+. I just finished watching it.
Thank you for mentioning it. No way I would have found it or watched it on my own.
Yeah that was a pretty big hit Tommy. We do produce some really good stuff. We just have lots of junk too. They don't count as Canadian but a lot of US movies are actually shot here due to the currency difference. They save about 25%. You guys import lots of good actors from us too. My favourite example is Captain Kirk is Canadian. So was Scotty. Spock was from Vulcan though :D
Lots of your neighbors to the south sure enjoyed the Red Green Show!

tommyhawk

#30 ·
I just got a streaming TV device working, and I get Disney, so I will have to try and find this classic. Luckily my wife is not here right now so there will be no one to complain about me watching it, unless my dog discovers how to talk.

Reactions: wachuko
#31 ·
I discovered this movie on tv while I was in high school I think it was on either CMT, or AMC at the time. To me it was kind of a slow movie.......no pun intended that it was watching a lawn mower making a major trip but I always enjoyed those 110's so didn't mind.

I recently found the movie streaming and decided to watch it being laid up. Being a little bit older now I see it more as a documentary and the deeper side of the movie of just a true old fashion American man doing what he can to make things right with his brother before it's too late, and the distance we'd go for brotherly love. I think the silence between them at the end says it all.

I believe in real life the mower was a 1964, but in the movie they used a 1966.

As I mentioned I always liked these 110's, I live about a half hour from the Horicon plant, my dad has a square fender and after seeing the movie I always wanted one. Recently I was finally able to track one down locally.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.