Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Working on restoring a 318 and this is the steering column mounting bracket. Is this normal or some kind of rollover damage? I'm not aware of this machine's history and have never seen one before.
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire

·
Registered
353 Posts
Here are some pics of a partially dismantled 1990 318 sitting in my garage right now.
This is what the mount should look like.

Attachments

Reactions: aolshove

·
Registered
686 Posts
Your plate looks like 3 of the mounting holes are in the same plane. All that plate does is hold the steering column but the steering column does not meet up with a linkage or rigid hyd lines so it’s not like alignment is super critical. The laminated plates of the steering column are very stout so I would assume if 3 of the holes in the mounting plate are in the same plane, you could add shim washers under the bent up portion of the mounting plate and still keep the steering column level and securely mounted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your plate looks like 3 of the mounting holes are in the same plane. All that plate does is hold the steering column but the steering column does not meet up with a linkage or rigid hyd lines so it’s not like alignment is super critical. The laminated plates of the steering column are very stout so I would assume if 3 of the holes in the mounting plate are in the same plane, you could add shim washers under the bent up portion of the mounting plate and still keep the steering column level and securely mounted.
Thanks! I've straightened it with hammer and dolly and am repainting now.

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
You will be glad you took the time to make it right. I can't imagine what happened to bend it in the first place, but it must have been pretty severe...your initial "roll over" theory may be just what occurred.

Chuck

·
Registered
686 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to straighten it. By chance did you put new seals in the steering column while you had it out? It’s not a bad job to do once the column is out of the tractor but it’s a major job if you have to tear the tractor down again to get the column out to reseal it if it leaks later.
If it’s never been rebuilt, the rubber seals in it are as old as the tractor - which means sometime in the last century….

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad to hear you were able to straighten it. By chance did you put new seals in the steering column while you had it out? It’s not a bad job to do once the column is out of the tractor but it’s a major job if you have to tear the tractor down again to get the column out to reseal it if it leaks later.
If it’s never been rebuilt, the rubber seals in it are as old as the tractor - which means sometime in the last century….
No, I haven't. I'm anxious to get it put back together but dang it, I know you're right. I'll look into the seal kit. Thanks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Here you go - this should tell you just about everything involved in the rebuild and after reading this, you can decide if you want to rebuild.
Was there any evidence of a hydraulic fluid leak near the steering column when you disassembled the tractor?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here you go - this should tell you just about everything involved in the rebuild and after reading this, you can decide if you want to rebuild.
Was there any evidence of a hydraulic fluid leak near the steering column when you disassembled the tractor?

Thanks Mike! Yes, there is weeping between the top and second plate. I'd feel better if it were re-sealed anyway and it looks like whatever bent the frame mount tweaked the top plate as well. Thanks for the info. I'll try to get one of those seal kits.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Check out the disassembly and assembly photos on Toasty's post. The most critical seal sits right under that top plate that the steering shaft tube is connected to so if it is bent, you may have a hard time sealing the steering column even if you straighten it and install a new seal. Can you post a photo of the top plate you say is tweaked? You might want to contact the supplier in Chicago and ask to speak with a repair technician and get their advice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check out the disassembly and assembly photos on Toasty's post. The most critical seal sits right under that top plate that the steering shaft tube is connected to so if it is bent, you may have a hard time sealing the steering column even if you straighten it and install a new seal. Can you post a photo of the top plate you say is tweaked? You might want to contact the supplier in Chicago and ask to speak with a repair technician and get their advice.
Rectangle Wood Gas Art Flooring
Tire Product Automotive tire Wood Material property

Material property Sewing needle Gas Cylinder Wire

·
Registered
686 Posts
Given the position of the welds on the tube, it looks like you took photos of 3 different sides and the first lamination seems to have a bow in the middle. That is the lamination that is connected to the steering tube. Compare your photos to the photos in the Toasty link. The fluid seal is located between the 5th lamination piece and the solid cast block so you might not need to worry about the bow if you seal it to prevent water entry. You might still want to call the Hydra Guide service company in Chicago for their advice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Given the position of the welds on the tube, it looks like you took photos of 3 different sides and the first lamination seems to have a bow in the middle. That is the lamination that is connected to the steering tube. Compare your photos to the photos in the Toasty link. The fluid seal is located between the 5th lamination piece and the solid cast block so you might not need to worry about the bow if you seal it to prevent water entry. You might still want to call the Hydra Guide service company in Chicago for their advice.
Thanks. It isn't weeping badly really. I think I can beat it somewhat straighter than it is. I've purchased a seal kit and will install it and straighten the plate this weekend. Appreciate your advice, Mike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I'm having no end of trouble with this rebuild. The C clip at the top of the shaft (34) was replaced with two of the wrong type of clip to fill the clip slot but too large of an outside diameter. Also, the seal kit I bought was incomplete and only came with the seals around the Metering ring and thrust bearing. Lastly, the metering assembly doesn't sit down into the metering ring deeply enough to seat the isolation manifold plate because the input end of the steering shaft sticks up too high due to improper retaining plate parts. Somebody had this apart and hacked it together which is why water got into the housing. I'm guessing they rolled it, it started leaking, and they took it apart to fix something and lost some parts and supplied their own retaining plate, washer, and C clip(s). I hate screwing around with other people's hacks. :mad:

EDIT: Ooohhh.... okay, so after looking at the Toasty's 317 power steering rebuild and... thread, I have a spacer in the wrong place on the steering shaft and it's raising up the input end. Also, I see that I do indeed have an incomplete seal kit. I'm returning it to the Amazon dealer and buying one directly from JD along with the correct C-clip for the retainer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts