Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at a yard sale and I saw a box of black and green tractor pieces. The gent said they came off his 318 bagger, which was for sale also. He let me have the whole thing for $75, including a Simplicity powerflow that was brand new and the Deere Powerflow.

If this trailer with the tapered back isn't a 519, what is it? Does it fit 318 or anything else? Next question; does anyone have the mounting directions for the Powerflow to a 318 deck, and which decks would it fit?

Thanks

IMG_20210608_182853250.jpg
IMG_20210608_182853250.jpg
IMG_20210608_182841122.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_20210608_182903303.jpg
IMG_20210608_145837279.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,923 Posts
To answer your first question, Yes that is a MCS 519 utility cart.
Now for your second question I have to ask a question. Is there any numbers on the power flow? That will help identify what decks it was made to fit on.

I have seen these mounted on 318 but I don't have the details.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Must be one of the earlier, smaller models. My MCS519 cart is larger than that one...have no idea how it would attach to an open frame tractor like a 318. I used mine on my closed frame 212.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To answer your first question, Yes that is a MCS 519 utility cart.
Now for your second question I have to ask a question. Is there any numbers on the power flow? .
Not a single number on it that I can find. Just the small Deere sticker but no numbers legible on it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Must be one of the earlier, smaller models. My MCS519 cart is larger than that one...have no idea how it would attach to an open frame tractor like a 318. I used mine on my closed frame 212.
One of the brackets that was in the box looks like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
In the 3rd picture, there are two (2) small holes. That is where the model/sn tag is located/fastened. As dhager states, that is needed to know what model mower deck it fits.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Just a WAG, but I bet the center holes in that bracket bolt to the hitch plate...and the rods/bars you can see behind the tractor in the cart photo attach to the sides of that bracket, so it is essentially hitched solid with no pivot to the back of the tractor. Different set up on the MCS519 for closed frame tractors, but same principle. Can't help you with the powerflow or deck stuff, I use my MCS519 with a bagger chute on a 38-inch, 2-blade deck that has enough power to throw the cuttings/clippings into the cart.
It's a nice attachment to have...almost as useful as a Cyclone Rake.

·
Super Moderator
3,923 Posts
Just a WAG, but I bet the center holes in that bracket bolt to the hitch plate...and the rods/bars you can see behind the tractor in the cart photo attach to the sides of that bracket, so it is essentially hitched solid with no pivot to the back of the tractor. Different set up on the MCS519 for closed frame tractors, but same principle. Can't help you with the powerflow or deck stuff, I use my MCS519 with a bagger chute on a 38-inch, 2-blade deck that has enough power to throw the cuttings/clippings into the cart.
It's a nice attachment to have...almost as useful as a Cyclone Rake.
I believe that (essentially hitched solid) has been discussed on here in previous years. I don't remember the outcome of that thread

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
I can tell you from experience that the MC519 hitch arrangement is meant to be 'solid' to the rear of the tractor so the caster wheels of the cart itself are what turn when you maneuver...makes backing up a breeze. However, the arrangement is not that great on variable sloped ground and the hitch connections on my 322 tended to cam out if the cart tipped a bit side to side. There was an older discussion here on how to add a yaw roll swivel to the hitch to keep that from happening. For "mostly even" ground it is not an issue at all...as the factory hitch provides plenty of hinge travel for any 'pitch' motion.

Chuck

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 318 w/ a 46" and powerflow. That unit looks very similar, but cannot tell if it is a match. If yes, it will fit a 46" or a 50" deck.
Mounting is actually straight forward, but from the picture, you may be missing...
a.) In your picture, the tapered "rod' mounted on right (rear) side of powerflow intake, needs a receiver that should look like the picture below. (This one is actually for the 'Replacement 48' deck, but if not the same part number, it w/b very similar). The receiver bolts to the inside edge of your deck, and supports the Powerflow. b.) Similarly, the bracket shown on the Left side of powerflow intake, also connects to bracket on the deck (see pict.). c.) The Powerflow units have a replaceable skid plate that in effect, form the bottom section of the blower housing. In your picture, that skid plate is missing. d.) You will also need to track down the stacked pulley which mounts to the mower deck.

You got a Great deal on the powerflow, this will be well worth the effort.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks to me like it might be a Jr Co product.
I think you're right.... that would be why there's not JD stickers on the trailer. The Powerflow doesn't have a model tag but did have the postage stamp sized JD sticker along with the remnants of what was probably a warehouse 'pick ticket' which of course was also not able to read any good info off of.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can tell you from experience that the MC519 hitch arrangement is meant to be 'solid' to the rear of the tractor so the caster wheels of the cart itself are what turn when you maneuver...makes backing up a breeze. However, the arrangement is not that great on variable sloped ground and the hitch connections on my 322 tended to cam out if the cart tipped a bit side to side. There was an older discussion here on how to add a yaw roll swivel to the hitch to keep that from happening. For "mostly even" ground it is not an issue at all...as the factory hitch provides plenty of hinge travel for any 'pitch' motion.

Chuck
I don't have roller coaster type changes in elevation but over the course of 2 acres I do have some hills that are about 10-15' elevation change. Would that be close enough to level? I included a front and back yard photo for reference. Yeah, it's been really hot and dry here.
IMG_20210611_175741154_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210611_175713165.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have a 318 w/ a 46" and powerflow. That unit looks very similar, but cannot tell if it is a match. If yes, it will fit a 46" or a 50" deck.
Mounting is actually straight forward, but from the picture, you may be missing...
a.) In your picture, the tapered "rod' mounted on right (rear) side of powerflow intake, needs a receiver that should look like the picture below. (This one is actually for the 'Replacement 48' deck, but if not the same part number, it w/b very similar). The receiver bolts to the inside edge of your deck, and supports the Powerflow. b.) Similarly, the bracket shown on the Left side of powerflow intake, also connects to bracket on the deck (see pict.). c.) The Powerflow units have a replaceable skid plate that in effect, form the bottom section of the blower housing. In your picture, that skid plate is missing. d.) You will also need to track down the stacked pulley which mounts to the mower deck.

You got a Great deal on the powerflow, this will be well worth the effort.
In the first photo (Receiver) what holds the PF from sliding out?
Is the stacked pulley arrangement one double-V pulley? There's a couple new single pulleys in my box-o-parts along with a crapload of black brackets.
The skid plate is in the box of brackets. It has some wear to it.
Would you have the model number off your PF and more pictures of the rear mount?

Fortunately, all the Simplicity stuff is black also so who knows what fits which! LoL
Anybody interested in a new Simplicity Powerflow? :)

I'm worried all the brackets I have may be for the Simplicity since they're mostly new, and the JD mounts I need (along with the square PF to Cart tube) went with his 318 when he sold it.

The gent had a rear mount tiller (not at his house, at his son's) that he said he would sell also but since I have no use that I can think of (and I thought really long and hard about finding uses for it) I told him I would feel bad buying it off him at those kind of prices to resell it, as it's worth a whole lot more than I would be able to pay for it.

Here's photos of all the parts that came with. Anything look familiar?

IMG_20210611_182900611.jpg
IMG_20210611_183137534.jpg
IMG_20210611_183142455.jpg
IMG_20210611_183343216.jpg
IMG_20210611_183151469.jpg

IMG_20210611_182900611.jpg
IMG_20210611_183137534.jpg
IMG_20210611_183142455.jpg
IMG_20210611_183343216.jpg
IMG_20210611_183151469.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's photos of all the parts that came with. Anything look familiar?
Well, going off the model number on the Simplicity PF, I went to this site and it seems 99.9% of the brackets and pulleys I have are Simplicity. Are the JD mounts still available, or the double pulley?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Steve,

The pictures you show of your lawns do not seem to be much of an issue...the concern is not so much slope as undulations that put the cart on a different plane than the tractor, side to side. You can see that the slots in the tractor mounted bracket where the clevis pins attach the hitch arms of the cart can accommodate a bit of this type of mismatch so you should be good to go. The MC519 hitch attachments do not have this much accommodation, in my opinion.

Chuck

·
Registered
100 Posts
In the first photo (Receiver) what holds the PF from sliding out?
The rear portion of the PF is held in place by the tension pulley for drive belt, 'weight' of the powerflow (not much) is supported by the positioning rod. The front mount (armature) is rigid, and also hold things in place.
Is the stacked pulley arrangement one double-V pulley?
On mine (1986) I believe the bottom pulley is stand alone, while the top pulley is welded to the spacer. I will pull this today and confirm. The pulley for my Replacement 48 (2021) is a single piece.
There's a couple new single pulleys in my box-o-parts along with a crapload of black brackets.
This is a good problem to have! If you have >1 single pulley, see if you also have a short 'Spacer' of some sort, approx 1.25" long. If yes, you will probably just build the stack, then bolt in place on spindle. The top pulley is 3.875" O.D. See pictures for brackets
The skid plate is in the box of brackets. It has some wear to it. Outside wear should be minimal, these things never touch the ground. The issue w/ skid plates is rust: from the inside - out. Grass and moisture will collect at bottom of blower housing during off-season. I now use Stainless steel hardware, and remove the plate every couple years to paint.
Would you have the model number off your PF and more pictures of the rear mount? I rebuilt the powerflow (including new blower housing) a couple years ago, so should have a part number, but first attempt to locate it was N/A. I will try again. The new housing does not have an I.D. plate. Pictures below- Chute bracket and front bracket to help w/ your 'box-o-parts' .

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry for delay - 'competing priorities'. I was incorrect, The pulleys are not two separate pieces, but rather a single welded unit. Top pulley is 3.875" O.D., bottom is 4.5". The center spacer is ~1.25" tall.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts