Well after three years of tinkering around restoring the family 140 it finally came to life, bellowing smoke, but still it lives!
I finally got to a point where I needed a working motor to continue on, so I put the old motor (not the original) back in to see just how bad it was, and to be able to continue working on the tractor. I had to jumper it from my truck as I have not yet found a battery of its own. First off the start solenoid was bad. The JD dealer closed 5 minutes before I got there, so I just bypassed that problem. A few seconds on the starter a little choke, a cloud of smoke and she was running! Not bad after 10+ years of just sitting outside in the snow and such.
I was at least able to make some checks on my wiring harness to make sure that was all good, adjust the control cam and check for hydraulic leaks. I still have some air in the hydraulic system that I need to bleed out though. The engine is however in bad shape. The head gasket is leaking. It's burning oil. And has a knock, but this may be due to the timing being slightly too far advanced. I was able to get it to idle down to 800 rpm. I at least can work on the rest of the tractor and rebuild the original motor this fall.
Many thanks to all for your help in this project!!!