Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I own a 2007 X720 that i purchased from tractors and equipment out of Hernando MS. I have done some research on the web and everything I read says that the X700 is carbureted. The X720 is the next step up in the X700 line that offers fuel injection. If yours has a carb then you should be able to adjust it.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Most engines now days you cant adjust the carb mixture.

Might be something like the float level or dirty needle/seat though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello WFM,
I just bought a nice original
110 and had a question about the variator/belt/tranny. It pulls fine in second on level ground but it feels like she is slipping when I go up a hill. It won't hardly pull its self in 3 and 4th gear. On a very steep hill in 2nd gear it I smell a small hint of burning belts. If I pull the variator all the way back in the vertical position it almost acts like a brake.
What do you guys think?
Does the variator need adjusting? If so what is the proper way to do it.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
836 Posts
It is normal for the tractor to slow going up hills . The spring loaded variator compensates for increased loads to keep the engine running at steady rpms .

You should probably start by adjusting the variator but should also check belt condition . Do you have a repair manual ( a MUST in keeping these 30-50 yr old tractors running !)?

·
Registered
836 Posts
1. Put tractor in neutral & remove plug wire from spark plug .

2. Loosen large bolt (the one that takes a 3/4 socket) under variator handle .

3.Turn engine over (w/ignition switch) until clutch pedal rises . (Don't hold switch for more than about 5 sec ).

4.Tighten bolt using left hand to push downward on socket/bolt . Re-install plug wire .

·
Registered
145 Posts
Two cents: The belts should be JD belts. When I picked up both my 112 and 214 I found that the previous owners had replaced belts with another brand. Lots of slipping and belt flapping. The JD belts fit and ride so much better over JD pulleys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I adjusted and it helped it out a ton but still slips when going up hill. Could I send someone a text picture message. There is a broke spring under her and am not sure where it goes. I'm thinking new belts on the slipping would make a world of difference

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
If it is sticking/hanging any @ all it can cause misadjustment. Start the engine and lift up on the brake/clutch pedal then cut off the engine. NOt sure why deere tells us we have to remove plug and use the starter motor. Can you accidently crank over said engine/start it while tightening that bolt down??

Obviously, do this as opposed to removing plug and turning engine over and over with the starter. Every-other step is same and do them in proper order.

The spring is adjustable, but all the adjustment in the world will not cure a pinched center hub. It must move free w/o hardly any wobble.( A worn out center hub bushing will move freely side to side but will not operate)

I have installed old/rusty variator clutch assemblies that work just fine as opposed to one that is polished and worn-out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.