Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of doing a complete tear down and rebuild of my 112 Round Fender. The steering wheel is original and is in mint condition unlike the rest of the unit. I can not seem to get the steering wheel off and do not want to ruin it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Read Only
776 Posts
I pull the nut, spray it with PB-Blaster and let it sit over-night. The next day I thread the nut back on 3-4 threads worth and smack the spokes as close to the hub as I can get. I smack 2-3 times, turn the wheel, 2-3 more times, etc. I use a dead blow, and you don't even have to hit it all that hard.

I have yet to have a wheel NOT come off.

Hope this helps.

Jared

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Tim. My suggestion is to get or buy a 5/8 x 1 or 1 1/2” (length) fine threaded bolt and nut. Of course take the nut of the tractor’s steering wheel. Screw the nut about halfway on to the shaft and the screw the bolt into the other half of the nut. Hammer on the bolt head while pulling up the steering wheel. It helps to have someone hammer while you pull up. This has always worked for me!

John

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
What I do is back the nut off 1 turn or flush with the top of the male threads, whichever is more to protect the treads.

Then I take a belt and weave it through the spokes in a way that tightens towards the center when you pull up. Then either an engine hoist or a ratchet strap to a rafter would work and pull to the point a bit of sag comes out of the tires. Then tap the nut gently with a hammer or air chisel for stubborn ones and they quickly pop free. Remove the belt, remove the nut and the wheel will come right off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts