Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.....I'm a new WFM member and proud owner of a 73 JD140 H3 that I got a month ago. It sat outside for 2 years and is pretty rough, but it is a beast and I got a 33 Tiller with it....so gotta get going!

I had the carb removed and ultrasonically cleaned and put back on. Guy said he set everything on it including the float. I checked points and gap is good, and changed the condenser. Spark plug is set. Put it all on and the darn thing starts and idles beautifully! Very happy. But when I increase the throttle it doesn't catch and chug chug chugs.....I have to increase throttle VERY slowly and it eventually goes up. it will also backfire at times at higher idle or when i decrease throttle.

What do I adjust so that it accelerates better?

I have many many other questions but this is the first.....

·
Registered
166 Posts
It sounds like you need to richen the carb up a bit. What carb does it have, a Carter or Walbro??? On the carter the high speed needle is just under the throttle arm and on the Walbro it is down next to the float bowl. Try turning it out about a 1/8th of a turn.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give that a try. One thing I wondered is that I replaced everything but the coil....does a new coil work better, or is it the type of thing that works or doesn't work? Could quality of spark cause any of this issue?

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
also possible the fuel tank inlet screen is clogged a bit and not allowing enough fuel into the carb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts