Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
Im new on this forum and I just bought a JD 317 and im planning to restore it a bit so I have some question for you.

I know that there is many of thread about this but I would like to know if its possible to put the steering collum of the 318 with the steering valve(power steering) does any of you have made it?would it fit?(on the picture below its on a 318 so is it similar on a 317 where the bolt are)

because I found one but I need some info before trying it like :the 5 port you have under it IN,OUT thats ok but RT,LT(does it mean right turn,left turn) and it have Aux. where do I plug it?

(Message edited by kkortman112 on July 21, 2009)

·
Premium Member
9,554 Posts
Seb,

Welcome to the WFM forum and to owning a 317!

Below is a schematic for the hydraulics on the 5 port version of the 318. You will find quite a bit of information in the TM1590 manual is sections 60, 260 and 270. As you can see the LT port is plumbed to the non rod end of the cylinder on the 318, and the RT port goes to the end of the cylinder with the rod protruding...

You might also want to make a note of the Parker manual on this steering valve at:
http://www.wfmfiles.com/download/318_322_330_332_420_430_Parker_Hydrostatic_Steering_System-HGF_Series_Service(SM2753).pdf

Hope this helps a bit...I can't give any advice on modifying the 317 for power steering using 318 parts or any other method, as I have never done that.

Chuck

·
Banned
3 Posts
Chuck...could you post the page from the TM1590 manual that has the call-outs for the numbers in your 4 port schematic above? I think I have most of it figured out, but the numbers would be helpful. Thanks!

Also, what is the main difference between the 4 port and 5 port operationally? Why did they go to the 5 port in later models? What advantages does it have? I am looking at this conversion in a 1985 316 with an Onan B43E in it. Thanks again!

·
Banned
3 Posts
Okay, I think I answered some of my questions in the above post by checking another thread. It appears that the difference is that the 5 port directs hydraulic pressure to the steering valve first whereas on the 4 port it goes to the hydraulics for the lever controls first.

So, is the 5 port a better set-up and could this be used and installed in my 1985 316? Looks like it could be if everything is dimensionally the same?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.