1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Vehicle Tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Vehicle Tire
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Asphalt
I think I'm ready to re-assemble the 317 I bought last spring. Engine is in great shape, and the driveshaft u-joints are rebuilt.
However, it's clear my mule drive is missing parts, so I'd prefer to buy a used one, if somebody might know of one for sale.
Also, the front deck hanger assembly is missing. The guy I bought it from had it baling wired up to the frame. I'd appreciate a photo to figure out what parts I'm missing. Could be I could make them (it) if I knew what I was looking for.
I'm in no rush, as I let myself get roped into helping a large farm near me harvest corn, and we're nowhere near done.
Thanks in advance for any help and input!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I too would call them front deck hangers, but not John Deere! They call them Rear Draft Plates. From parts catalog:
Rectangle Slope Organism Font Line

These bolt to frame...roughly below the pedestal... and the spring pins snap into the holes in the draft arms. Since it states "Contact you dealer", I'd say they're NLA. The 312 and 314 also use these so you may be able to find a pair on a tractor someone is scrapping out.
Can't help with mule drive other than a 318, 322, & 3332 will also work... prolly others too! Bob

Reactions: kelley

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Not sure Bob, but I was thinking he meant the part of the mule drive that attaches to the front of the deck. The arms and clevises are not showing in the mule drive photo.

Kelly, put an ad in the Classified "Wanted" section here for the mule drive. Be sure what tractor and mower deck size you are attaching it to. The 317 series had a 3 blade 38" cut or 46" cut deck as original equipment. I believe there may have a 3 blade 48" replacement deck available later. There was a 38" 2 blade replacement available also. The smaller cut size decks may have longer arms on the mule drive, or there might be enough threads on the arms to allow for the adjustments. Also look on e-bay for pictures. Does JD parts still show the part layout for the mule drive?

tommyhawk

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Tommy, Because Kelley stated, "The guy I bought it from had it baling wired up to the frame" I assumed it was the hangers for the draft arms.
Mule drive is still shown in parts catalog under the 48 deck:
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Screenshot

and is still available for a "mere" $825!!!! I can't remember where, but mules are available online and these should (??) be less expensive. Bob

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't word my question well at all. The front of the deck (46" 3 blade) was baling wired up. There's 2 spring loaded latch pins on the front of the deck, and a spring loaded pull pin on each side of the frame. Two arms on the back of the deck. I'm guessing I need some mounting hardware for the front of the deck-to-tractor.
My concern, before winter, is to get it re-assembled, weighted, and the dozer blade functional. Maybe move snow later on.
Thanks for the responses and help, and yes, I know, my pics are bad.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Tommy, Because Kelley stated, "The guy I bought it from had it baling wired up to the frame" I assumed it was the hangers for the draft arms.
Mule drive is still shown in parts catalog under the 48 deck:
View attachment 271456
and is still available for a "mere" $825!!!! I can't remember where, but mules are available online and these should (??) be less expensive. Bob
That particular drawbar in your post is a 318 and later. 317's are different but both work. The 318 style is best as it allows adjustment for deck leveling without disconnecting the front pins. However, they are weaker and more susceptible to bending. And, I found to sell for less money. (It's that superior 318 thing again) I just wanted to add that so he could expand his search.

Reactions: kelley

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Unless you plan on making this into a rear engine drive tractor I’d think the mods might want to move this to the hydrostatic drive tractors to be in the right sub forum.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That particular drawbar in your post is a 318 and later. 317's are different but both work. The 318 style is best as it allows adjustment for deck leveling without disconnecting the front pins. However, they are weaker and more susceptible to bending. And, I found to sell for less money. (It's that superior 318 thing again) I just wanted to add that so he could expand his search.
Now I'm wondering if it's been modified, but I'm sure I'm still missing parts that mount the front of the deck to the tractor.
Product Font Material property Grass Publication

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unless you plan on making this into a rear engine drive tractor I’d think the mods might want to move this to the hydrostatic drive tractors to be in the right sub forum.
LOL. Are you a forum cop? Says lawn tractors in the heading. However, I'll try to post in the proper lane next time, so no one gets hurt.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
In your post #5, the 2 arms with the rubber tie down attach to the spring pins on your frame shown in the first pic in #5 post... these are what I posted in post #2. The 2 spring J-clips near the roller will attach to item #32 on the mule drive when you locate one.
Two more items you may or may not need are the arms that hang down and actually raise/lower the deck. These will be above the 2 holes in the draft arm (with the rubber tie down) and attach to the rockshaft. Bob

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
LOL. Are you a forum cop? Says lawn tractors in the heading. However, I'll try to post in the proper lane next time, so no one gets hurt.
I think N2 was trying to help you get a few more responses. Many members don't venture too far away from their particular "lane" so to speak. And, I think he was talking to the moderators through your thread. As it is now in that forum, apparently they listened. You will find much more information on 317's under the "hydrostatic" forum.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think N2 was trying to help you get a few more responses. Many members don't venture too far away from their particular "lane" so to speak. And, I think he was talking to the moderators through your thread. As it is now in that forum, apparently they listened. You will find much more information on 317's under the "hydrostatic" forum.
Since I've hurt some feelings here, and posted in the wrong lane, I'll just go to JD and get what I need, or build it, whatever has to be done. I won't bother anybody anymore with my piddly little problems. Goodbye.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
As Joe said I was only trying to help. No feelings to worry about as I was not thinking about feelings lol. There are a lot of friendly people here who have a vast level of information with regards to everything John Deere and even non John Deere. Wait don't go so soon, it was just getting good :p

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts