Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a new tire on my 318 and wheel bearings over the summer. I wasn't in a normal driveway situation. I was done with the driveway. I have been trying to make a sledding hill in my backyard for my daughter. This is first time really using it and was in very thick heavy snow. The clip must have come off, and when the wheel came off the bearing must've came out some. If it happens again does anyone know if they make axles for them that are the older style with the bolts instead of clips? Also going from a 214 to a 318 is a world of difference having hydro and power steering

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I mean spindle not axle. Do 400 series spindles fit the 318? Also, the main issue was having the wavy washer behind the axle.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
You likely installed the snap ring backward. If you look at it real close you will see one side of the ring is much sharper than the other. Install it with the sharp side our and you'll likely be OK.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point, never noticed. I do remember it was a pain getting the wheel on with the wavy washer. Should I leave the washer out? I think it had it on.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
There is no wash called for in the parts manual and I don't recall one being there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
On a 318 there is no washer on the back side of the wheel.
You might check to see that your wheels, bearings and spindles all match.

Original 318 specs -
Up to SN 372595 (mid 1986) used 1" spindles.
SN 372596 and up used 25mm spindles.
SN 010001-120000 used 25mm spindles.
Metric wheels use metric bearings.
SAE wheels use SAE bearings.
25mm wheels will not fit on 1" spindles.
1" wheels will give a sloppy & wobbly fit on 25mm spindles.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Mike, YES, parts catalog shows spring washer on the 214 front spindle... and none of the 318. Bob

·
Super Moderator
4,128 Posts
On a 318 there is no washer on the back side of the wheel.
You might check to see that your wheels, bearings and spindles all match.

Original 318 specs -
Up to SN 372595 (mid 1986) used 1" spindles.
SN 372596 and up used 25mm spindles.
SN 010001-120000 used 25mm spindles.
Metric wheels use metric bearings.
SAE wheels use SAE bearings.
25mm wheels will not fit on 1" spindles.
1" wheels will give a sloppy & wobbly fit on 25mm spindles.
I have a 1986 318 that someone put 1 inch wheels on the metric spindle. I'll fix it some day. It is sloppy driving especially at faster speeds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts