Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help here. I'm looking for a tiller for my 322. I know the 30 hydraulic tiller will work with no additional equipment. I also know the 48 tiller will work, but requires rear PTO and 3 pt hitch.

Does anyone know if the 33 tiller will work on a 322 tractor? The documentation that I've looked at says no, but want to know for sure before I end up buying a more expensive tiller. Also, if it will work, what type of modification/equipment will be required to make it work, if any?

Thanks in advance,
Cal

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hi Calvin. The only way to make a #33 tiller fit would be to completely fabricate a mounting system (as the 120/140 early 300 series have a completely different rear frame when compared to the late 300 series) and since the rear axles are different, you would need to fabricate a drive shaft to run it. So, I'm not going to say it won't fit, but in my opinion you would be much better time and money wise to find the "correct" fit tiller for your tractor.

Kent

·
Registered
382 Posts
Cal,
One point here... You can purchase another tractor, like a 140 H1 or a 300 or 314 to run that 33 tiller for about the same $$$$$ you would have in trying to add a three point and rear PTO to a 322. Just a thought.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Hi Calvin,

I'd like to comment on your statement regarding the #30 hydraulic tiller needing "no additional equipment" - not exactly the case. It does not need a 3pt but it does need a rear pto (or a belly mount hydro pump) as well as lift brackets that mount on the rear lift or your tractor. So if you're in the market for one, ensure you get all the parts.

Also I had a 317 with a #33 and now have a 318 with a #30... the hydro tiller is much smoother to run, and of course the 318 with power steering is a huge bonus...

So Robb is likely right, the #33 on a different tractor is cheaper, but a #30 for your 322 is a good investment

Hope this helps.
Kent

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have been looking for a little insight on this 425 which I might go look at.I am looking to hook up a 46" snow thrower to it.It has no mower which is fine.He said his bottom line price is $2700 which I think I can still get it for $2500. The 445 has 1080 hours on it.It was used to pull a zamboni model # 100 around all it's life. Do you think it might be some hard hours on it? It does come with a 3 point,5 hanging weights and front and rear wheel weights.Also loaded tires with studded rear tires which the studs can be removed.

The major issue is that it is a 1995 plastic cam gear.I have talk to a few people already,just getting a little more insight if I could.

Here is the Zamboni 100 specs.http://www.industrialmachine.ca/www.industrialmachine.ca/products/iceResurfacers/index.html

·
Administrator
6,328 Posts
John,
1998 was the last year for the plastic cam gear, but it really depends on the engine code. The 425-445 engine types are FD620D-XXXX where the XXXX is one of AS01, BS01, CS01 and so on. Engines with suffix AS01 and BS01 have plastic cam gears; CS01 and DS02 have metal cam gears. Failure was usually between 500 to 1000 hours, though there have been a lot that got over 1000 hours before failure. There is some food info here in our archives and some on the John Deere Garden Tractor Yahoo group in their files section.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I bought my '93 for $2400, with 1300 hrs, several years ago. Put $300+ in rings, valve springs, cam, lifters, t-stat, gskts, etc.

It's been a great tractor, has had minor fuel system/carb issues. After proper repairs, it's performed great. I use it approximately 4-6 hours per week, year around. It hardly has time to cool off. I pull a 6' trailer, 54" deck, have an S3500# Superwinch on the front for pulling wood, etc. Great all-around yard tractor. It works in conjunction with my 50hp JD2240, 520 loader, 603 deck, there's little those two haven't done around the farm.

Just because, I have a GX345, 48" deck with 212 hrs in reserve. A bit of a 'girly tractor' compared to the 425, but my sweetie of 40 years likes to drive it, that's the key!

·
Registered
153 Posts
There's one on c/l locally, listed for over $3K. Nice, clean, doesn't list the hours but the deck is clean and doesn't look like it's been abused.

I believe stuff is worth whatever someone will pay for it. A nice 425 is hard to replace with something of equal quality & longevity for that price. A heavy duty, hard working, long lasting piece, for sure.

I watch the ads regularly, it's amazing what crazy money some of the junk will bring. That said, I've found that when I want to buy it, it's price very high, when I want to sell it, the price just went down. Funny how that works.......

·
Administrator
6,328 Posts
I do know you won't find a 425 that's in good shape for under 2K here, even without a deck. It would have to have a lot of hours and in somewhat rough shape to get one under 2K.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ok....Here is food for thought.
In our little forum here what would you pay for a 2001 445 620 hours....60" deck?What would that be worth??? I say around $4000 is an average price.....Your thoughts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/3484552769.html

most of the 425s around me were going for 2500 with a deck. saw one that had around 100 hours listed at 4000. dont see too many 445s for sale, but i could have bought one last summer with mc519, plow, and 60 in deck for 4000. i think it had around 600 hours.

(Message edited by treed on December 29, 2012)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.