Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired an old JD 400 that had a faulty fuel pump. It would shut off after about a minute due to the fuel pump not working. I replaced it with one from Amazon that must be pumping too much gas because it is just flooding the carburetor. I’ve tried 2 fuel pumps other than the one that came on it, and 3 carburetors. Every combination brings the same issue. Anyone here with a 400 know what fuel pump won’t deliver too much gas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Tim,
I am assuming that the JD 400 has the original K532 engine, for which the electric fuel pump should be rated at no more than about 3.5 psi. The JD 400 came with a cube-type Facet pump and Facet pumps are indeed the "gold standard". However, they come in many pressure ratings and there may be no description or rating on the pump case--they all look the same. In buying a new one, go for the 40163 (1.5-2.5 psi) in the classic metal case, or the 60304 (1.0-2.0 psi) Posi-flow in the polymer case (Aircraft Spruce is a good source). Much cheaper knock-offs are available on ebay.

If two pumps and three carbs gave the same flooding result, there may be other issues. Is the fuel stale or dirty with rust or other debris? Are the fuel lines old and stiff. Is there an in-line fuel filter? Removing a carb bowl could reveal debris that can plug the float needle valve and cause flooding. Are the carb float levels adjusted properly?
Harold

Reactions: army

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
K582. I emptied and cleaned the gas tank and filled it with fresh fuel, replaced the fuel line, and put a new fuel filter in. I’ve also adjusted the carburetor but it’s not helping. I think what I need is a much weaker fuel pump like the ones you guys suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
The surplus store had Facets on sale a while ago. Must have been a typo in the flyer because they were supposedly capable of 30 GPM. Pretty sure that should have been GPH. I have never had an issue with any of my Facets. I accidentally left the key on for about half a day on one 400 about 10 years ago and it didn't care. It still works fine. I have a spare Facet from a 400 on the shelf too, which makes me happy(y)

Reactions: Timothy

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
You might wanna try a regulator. I have an Edelbrock reg that reduces the pressure to 1 PSI. I bought it for the 13 HP Honda clone engine in my golf cart to use with a 3 PSI electric pump but the carb was still overflowing because the needle/seat/float on the clone carb still couldn't handle it. The regulator was about 25 bucks IIRC. A bypass line with a little ball valve to adjust the flow just before the carb and back to the tank might do the trick for you too.

K582. I emptied and cleaned the gas tank and filled it with fresh fuel, replaced the fuel line, and put a new fuel filter in. I’ve also adjusted the carburetor but it’s not helping. I think what I need is a much weaker fuel pump like the ones you guys suggested.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Timothy
1 - 6 of 6 Posts