Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to help my neighbor here. He has a JD400 from 1970's, it does an awesome job cutting grass! He recently purchased a show blower for the front of it. Was told it came off either a 420 or 430 and may need "modifications." With that he purchased some JD made "plates" that help it mount to the 400, but now the issue is the front driveshaft is too long and from what I can find looks like the one we need should be approx. 6 1/6 inches long. Pretty sure JD doesn't make this part anymore. Can anyone here guide me in the right direction or have a connection to assist us? Any and all help is greatly appreciated! I found this (Blower drive shaft for a JD400 - AM36610), so I guess I'm looking for an "AM36610?" Thanks all!

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I think you want this post in the Want to Buy forum.

Deere 400 Tractor was manufactured 1975 thru 1983
  • Model 50 snow blower (46" snow thrower) was the intended attachment for this model
  • Model 50 was manufactured 1975 thru 1980
  • AM36610 was the driveshaft for the Deere model 50 snow thrower and s NLA from Deere
  • Very rare to find due to limited number of model 50 snow throwers manufactured.
  • Much of the 50 is interchangeable with the model 49 but the mounting and drive components are different.
Would have helped if you told us what model snow thrower/blower you are trying to modify to fit the 400 tractor. There should be a serial number plate with the information or a photo always helps. I bought a model 50 and have the part you are looking for but the joints are loose and the key slot is worn. I also am looking for a replacement. DriveLine can get me a drive shaft that is about 7 1/2". I do not think I can make that work.

Bottom line is 400 is a difficult tractor to mount modified snow throwers on due to this driveshaft. There was a member on here a couple weeks ago who was into manufacturing them. Probably your best shot.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
1984 John Deere 400 L&G, mower deck, 50 inch blade, rototiller with gear box and driveshaft.
2 Posts
I used a two stage blower intended for 420 or 430, on my 400. I have manual-if I remember correctly, you can rotate the plate to adapt it. Here's video of me blowing snow:

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Snowblower is a "refrigerator" style model 47. Video does not show what modifications were done to make it fit a 400 so does not help Leoski with his issue.

·
Registered
1984 John Deere 400 L&G, mower deck, 50 inch blade, rototiller with gear box and driveshaft.
2 Posts
Snowblower is a "refrigerator" style model 47. Video does not show what modifications were done to make it fit a 400 so does not help Leoski with his issue.
You are correct. I sold the 47 two stage in Wisconsin. My point was it's in the specific attachment manual for the 47". The plate gets rotated for the different model tractor, i.e 400 420, 430.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I wasn't aware the model 47 mounting plate fit a 400 Deere. What I saw in the parts catalog were plates that fit alongside the mount that the shell contacted as a stop for lowest limit.. Or are you talking about the model 47 mounting bracket? Photos of the modification would help me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.