Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I was mowing my lawn when suddenly the clutch dropped out. While finishing the job I did find a spring in my yard. I'm not entirely sure if the spring came from the tractor or not. After dropping the blades from the tractor and looking at the action of the clutch pedal I believe the spring came from the lever on the right side of tractor, kinda near the brake pedal. I did attach the spring to the shroud around one of the belts, hole was there and spring seemed about the right length. and to the vertical portion of the lever/clutch. The tractor does run, but seems slower.
So,

1. did the spring get back roughly as it should have. I saw no other obvious attachment points.

2. if the spring is back properly, can I adjust the tension on the drive belt?

3. If I can't adjust the tension on the drive belt, how the hell do you replace and with what size belt?
THanks
BB

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where do I look to attach the spring? the spring, if it's the correct one, is about 8 inches long. it's half coiled and then about 4"s of straight metal where it looks like the hook broke off. the manor in which I attached the spring it did bring life back to the clutch but not fully. at the top of the pedal there is maybe 3/4-1" of play.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Welcome, Brandon!
Here's a couple shots of one end of a couple springs on a 70. May not be the end that you need to see though. Heck, the pictures are 5 years old already. We'll need help too, when reassembly time comes. One of the first two pictures has to be wrong! If you still have one spring attached, please let me know which photo is correct.
The second two are hopefully correct, as they at least hook in different locations.

tommyhawk

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tom, The 2nd and 4th pictures seem to be the most relevant to me. Using Joe's diagram. It was spring #16. but I attached it completely wrong. IN essence I did exactly what was supposed to be done, but I rant the spring forward. I'll have to pull it apart next weekend and see if I can attach it properly as I'm sure that will help my driveability issue, very sluggish.

Does anyone know the belt size for these pulleys? While I have it apart I might replace the belt.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Joe Loch to the rescue! Thanks Joe. I'll put a notation with that first photo.
Brandon, if you haven't signed up on JDParts.Deere.com yet, do so. You can look up the parts and check prices and inventory at the dealer you select. Also if the belt is still available, you can look at the specs. for it.
One of the sponsors for this great web site is "Keeping It Green" (see top of this page). You can order parts online from them, too.

tommyhawk

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok my fault for not doing this sooner, but I found that the spring is in the wrong place. I didn't really find where it connects on either end. under the seat I'm sure i can find the right spot, but I looked at the pulley's and i can't find the right pulley arm to connect to???

[URL="http://www.wfmachines.com/discus/messages/17/101613.jpg[/IMG]http://www.wfmachines.com/discus/messages/17/101613.jpg[/URL]
picture of the spring i'm trying to attach, stolen from another thread.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fender pan? I see a bunch of bolts but i've mainly been dropping the blades and looking up from underneath. is there an easy was to remove the seat? or gear shift? is that what you RE CALLING THE FENDER PAN?

·
Banned
536 Posts
Brandon, there are two bolts under the seat, not the ones that hold the seat springs to the seat and fender pan, the two closest to the center under the seat, remove both of them!! Then look under the rear fenders in front of the rear tires, you will find one more bolt on each side, remove them also. next unscrew and remove your shifter ball. you can now remove your seat, seat springs and fender pan all as one assembly and make it very easy for you to locate per the drawing above where your spring goes. All you need to remove this assembly is a 9/16 wrench or socket.
Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.