Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sending this out to ask everyone what they know about this. I know that patio tractors and attachments were made for the garden tractors but did not know what the deal with the lawn tractor line is. This snowblower is original and I am not sure why it is white, but it is. The tractor we purchased about 10 years ago and it looks like it was restored at one point in its life. We purchased it from Brad Lundell at Little G and it pretty much had sat since then. It lost spark. So in the last week I got it out and worked on it. replaced ignition parts and got spark. then rebuilt carb and got it to run at high idle only. as soon as you move the throttle it dies. I noticed some oil seeping out of the head gasket while it was runnning at high idle so I wil fix that and then see if I can get it to idle down. If anyone has any info regarding this snowblower please share. Or info on ideas of what may be making it so that it wont idle down.

thanks in advance,
Blake

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
One more time. This is what my boss told me in the 1970s. The dealers speculated that JD originally planned to have a Patio when the new 70s came out in 1970. They started painting attachments for them in 1969. When sales of Patios were dismal the JD management changed their collective minds about that project. In the mean time they had produced a bunch of Patio attachments in white for the 60/70s. The dealers were allowed to buy these at a deep discount and the man I worked for bought 4 of the 34 mower decks. As it turned out maybe it wasn't such a good deal as it took him until 1976 when he sold the last one to a friend who had a 100. He told me he lost money on it plus the interest on his money for 6 years. Technically they are rare but not necessarily valuable. Roger

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roger,

Thank you. I could have sworn that I have read this before, but could not remember where in this site I had read it. And my memory does not always serve me correctly so I thought I would ask. Thank you very much. I wonder where all of us would be if they would have made 60/70 patios.
Blake

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I have a patio blade for a 60/70.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Matt,

Sometime in this tractor's life someone put a Hood Ornament/ row marker on it I would say. They actually did a pretty good job because I actually6 kinda like it. Usually this kind of stuff just annoys me thats added to a tractor, but I think I will leave it.
Blake

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Cub Cadet.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhh, well in that case I had better be getting that thing off of a Deere!!!!
Just kidding, but maybe someday down the road it will come off, for now it will stay. Thanks for the explanation guys. I will have to look at our CC 100 and Original when I get the chance to see if it is in fact the same ornament.
Blake

·
Registered
77 Posts
Dan - Your request granted... From the WOFM show last weekend. Personally, I would have liked to see it in one of the other Patio colors, but I suppose this one was easier to match the seat with.

The same guy had a 60 done up with a 110 grill, running boards and fenders. It was so nicely done and so subtle, I almost didn't notice it.

Blake - My 70 runs the same way you are describing. I rebuilt the carb a couple times and even put a new throttle shaft in it. After alot of tweaking, I can idle it down some, but it isn't very smooth at anything below about 90% throttle. I have never gotten the carb to "rattle" like you will find talked about in several threads on here. I fixed up a little Wheel Horse with a Tecumseh H60 in it earlier this year, and it's carb did have the rattle. It has much better throttle range, but still not as smooth as my K181 Kohlers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dave,

I will keep working on this 70 soon hopefully. I finally got it to run on more than just high idle from messing with the carb enough. Never smoked when it was parked. Now has a slight white puff that comes out. So I will hopefully get back to that tractor soon. I too seen this patio 60 and thought that it was done very nicely. I think that guy needs a patio snowblower to go with his patio 60 though...

Blake

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave,

I will keep working on this 70 soon hopefully. I finally got it to run on more than just high idle from messing with the carb enough. Never smoked when it was parked. Now has a slight white puff that comes out. So I will hopefully get back to that tractor soon. I too seen this patio 60 and thought that it was done very nicely. I think that guy needs a patio snowblower to go with his patio 60 though...

Blake

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Mike I believe it is just a RF grill and hood supports. The hood on a 70 is exactly the same as a RF hood and the grill and supports look just like what my RFs use. Probably just drill two new hole in the side of the70 frame to do it. Roger

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.