Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a JD LA115, with a 19 HP single cylinder Brigg & Stratton engine. It tries to start but will not. When the sparkplug is taken out and then try to start it will throw out raw gas(a lot) from the spark plug hole. Is that maybe the carburetor? I have not taken it apart yet. Any ideas?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the carb, cleaned and reinstalled, It started for a second then backfired. Now it is leaking at the carb. I just ordered a new carb and will put on it.

·
Registered
1989 318
368 Posts
Jerry - When you say 'it is leaking at the carb' is it dumping gas down the throat? Tom

P.S. I finally got the angle cylinder mounted onto that 2-way 54 blade I bought from you, it is a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tom, when the spark plug was removed there was raw gas in the cylinder, and then when I turned the key on it sprayed a lot of gas out of the spark plug hole. I will check the valves after I get the new carburetor installed. Thanks for all the advise.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I just acquired a JD LA115, with a 19 HP single cylinder Brigg & Stratton engine. It tries to start but will not. When the sparkplug is taken out and then try to start it will throw out raw gas(a lot) from the spark plug hole. Is that maybe the carburetor? I have not taken it apart yet. Any ideas?
You will need to check the fuel pump as well. I believe those use a vacuum operated fuel pump, and a leaky diaphragm will shoot raw fuel into the crank case.

So - drain the oil and smell it. If it smells like gas, replace the fuel pump.
Add new oil. Do not try to start the tractor yet.
Then - change the carburetor.
Then try to start the engine.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the fuel pump is a vacuum type. Are you saying with a bad diaphragm the gas can get into the crankcase?, Yes I will change the oil before I try it out the new carburetor. Since I took the old carb off to clean it(was not too dirty), then put it back together, it started to leak at the bowl and the top, so I just decided to replace the whole thing since I do not know what the PO had done to the carb. Once I get that done then I will see how it starts and runs then take it from there. Thanks for the ideas

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes the fuel pump is a vacuum type. Are you saying with a bad diaphragm the gas can get into the crankcase?, Yes I will change the oil before I try it out the new carburetor. Since I took the old carb off to clean it(was not too dirty), then put it back together, it started to leak at the bowl and the top, so I just decided to replace the whole thing since I do not know what the PO had done to the carb. Once I get that done then I will see how it starts and runs then take it from there. Thanks for the ideas
Yes, the crank vacuum is acting on a diaphragm with fuel on the other side. If there is a hole in the diaphragm, fuel can end up in the crankcase.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the crank vacuum is acting on a diaphragm with fuel on the other side. If there is a hole in the diaphragm, fuel can end up in the crankcase.
The oil level is full not overfull, no gas smell, so it maybe ok. I will change the oil after the carb is installed. Thanks for the advise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts