Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 John Deere X485. I need a new engine for it. Where is the best place to buy a complete engine? 4 years ago I bought a complete engine for my X475 and it was a breeze to change out very happy with it, I bought it on EBAY and it was delivered to the house. It came from Indiana.

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Call the place you used before and use them. Roger
I tried the place(Roy Padgett Engines) where I bought the engine for the X475 in 2019, they do not carry one for the X485. I called another place(Small Engine Warehouse) in Indiana, they do not carry that engine anymore. They have another engine but there is a lot of changes I would have to make to use in my tractor, they said, not a drop-in. They said there was a lot of EPA changes that made that engine obsolete. I may have to find someone that is very knowledgeable to overhaul mine. It is smoking now. It had a blown head
gasket that I replaced, then when started up, it ran wild, I shut it down and had a mower shop replace the broken governor gear and oil pump gear($343). Now when restarted in smokes. I was then thinking of replacing the whole engine until I found out today about the obsolete engine.

· Registered
9 Posts
How many hours is on this X485? Is it a FD711D or a FD750D? The Kawasaki is normally a good and dependable engine. It can have difficulties with coils. Being fuel-injected is a plus.

Did you talk to Repower Pros? They have a number of options. Unless your engine has several thousand hours I would be inclined to diagnose and repair.

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
n
How many hours is on this X485? Is it a FD711D or a FD750D? The Kawasaki is normally a good and dependable engine. It can have difficulties with coils. Being fuel-injected is a plus.

Did you talk to Repower Pros? They have a number of options. Unless your engine has several thousand hours I would be inclined to diagnose and repair.
I will contact Repower Pros and see about a new engine. The mower shop that I took it to showed me the broken plastic governor gear and the oil pump assembly that they had to replace. They said they cleaned it up inside, put it back together and that it was smoking(which they would not have known, like me, until they started it and also noticed that it was smoking. This was a non-working tractor when I bought it. It has 969 hours on it. When I bought it, it was blowing white smoke out of the muffler, Blown head gasket, that I replaced. I was thinking about not having a overhaul of the engine since I do not know how bad the internal engine is so I thought it may be better to just drop a new engine in it. It is a really clean tractor all around with a very nice 62" mower deck.

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will contact Repower Pros and see about a new engine. The mower shop that I took it to showed me the broken plastic governor gear and the oil pump assembly that they had to replace. They said they cleaned it up inside, put it back together and that it was smoking(which they would not have known, like me, until they started it and also noticed that it was smoking. This was a non-working tractor when I bought it. It has 969 hours on it. When I bought it, it was blowing white smoke out of the muffler, Blown head gasket, that I replaced. I was thinking about not having a overhaul of the engine since I do not know how bad the internal engine is so I thought it may be better to just drop a new engine in it. It is a really clean tractor all around with a very nice 62" mower deck.
[/QU

I cannot find a model number on the Kawasaki engine. The only thing I have found is the Kawasaki tag on the air cleaner body and the model number on the tractor.

Attachments

· Registered
9 Posts
It's probably the FD711D. I went looking for the serial number break and it's not shown on TractorData, which makes me wonder why I saw both of those engine models listed elsewhere. Chances are whomever you call will be using the John Deere model and serial number.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts