Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a '73 140 H3 I'm fixing up....got the 38" mower, and tiller, and thinking about putting a 2 stage snowblower on it.....either a Berco or the 44" JD.....both belted. How does one do this? I see them on youtube but they never show the hook up.

If I can make this work I may end up selling my x495 with shaft blower.....don't need it for my small yard and driveway. Gain some garage space!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
how much does that blower weigh? if its anything like the 47 in "refrigerator in size" 2 stage blowers you will need lots of rear weight for traction.

IMO the 49 thrower is better unless you need to toss the snow real high like over 10 feet.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The 140 has marginal power for running a two-stage blower. Knotty is right - the 49 thrower is a much better match. And for 95% of snow, it works as well as the two-stage, besides being much lighter and more maneuverable.

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
the berco was made for the open frame 300 series and uses the rockshaft to lift it. the rock shaft on a 318 is at the rear of the tractor, where the one on a 140 is in mid tractor. I looked at a berco on a 318 and was not impressed with the amount of repairs the owner was doing, and that was with the correct parts, not hack repairs. it was impressive when blowing.

the 44 blower is completely incompatible, both from the fact its for vertical shaft engines, and it has a completely different mount and lift system, plus they don't get great reviews.

a 47 chest freezer could be mounted with a little notching of the tractor frame, but I wouldn't, they need 18-20hp. it would put quite a load on my 420.

I also know someone who tried to fit an agri-fab 2 stage on a 332, after several revisions trying to fix problems throughout the entire winter, he threw they entire thing in the scrap pile

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys - sounds like there is lots of good experience on this forum......I love it.

Just got back from lunch break and freed up one of my hydro check valves that was stuck......one thing at a time to get this beast going. What a well made old tractor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts