Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine bought a 455 this weekend. The instrument cluster dosent work, After fighting with the search engine on this site for a while, I through in the white flag, and ask for your assistance in this problem.
Thanks
Drew

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Drew - That's kind of a broad request with no simple answer from what you described as there there are many functions of the entire dash cluster . Could be a simple fuse or wire connection if the entire thing is dead . I am struggling with a 455 dash now that everything works except the fuel gauge , and the glass is out of it . Has signs of water damage , but I'm trying to figure out the components to make the fuel gauge work , but don't know if I'll get it . May know more tom. when I look more closer .

More specifics are needed to get any useful input from folks . Like what exactly about it doesn't work ?

Dave

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Drew - Very much prone to water damage when the glass is missing
as in mine . A new cluster does seem to be the broader concensus , that is , unless Chuck V was your next door neighbor . I have just enough electronics background to get myself in trouble most of the time . But I like trying to fix everything if I can . And you never know if you can - until you try.., right ? My 455 dash is in pieces on the work bench now , and I have located at least one bad component , but haven't exactly figured out what it is ie., resistor or what it is exactly . I might take picts of it and see if Chuck V knows . He da man on this kind of stuff.
I can get a glass from deere $100 I hear , or the complete dash $229 I hear , but would rather put in a $0.89 part if possible .

Hopefully the glass shop can make me a lens , and the Radio Shack can hook me up for the part it needs to get the fuel gauge working . Don't know if any one has been into rebuilding these , although I know it can be done . So if ANYONE has a good understanding of the circuitry on these [ Please
] (?) it shurwood help . Thanks Dave

·
Registered
261 Posts
455's, in particular, are extremely hard on the instrument cluster due to the vibration of the tractor from the Diesel. The vibration is the absolute worst with the tractor idling.

I bump the idle up just a tad with the throttle to get the dash out of the "vibration zone" where you can clearly see it shaking back and forth and getting the snot knocked out of it.

Mike

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I am going today to investigate mine , and quite possibly re touch all solder joints , try to figure the rusted out looking suspect component . Maybe if I post a picture Chuck Van will tell me what this thing is . Dave

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Well - I got a chance to remove the rusted out component .., a 150 ohm - 2 watt resistor is burnt/corroded out due to water in the dash . Went to Radio Shack , no luck . Gonna check a local electronics supply house tomorrow . Local glass shop is going to make me up a new lens for $8.00 , and will be ready friday .

I'm hopeful that I can get the resistor in and check it out tomorrow.

Will report back tomorrow . I will say that the dash is very simple to disassemble , say compared to a VCR or some other complicated electronics units . There are only two ICs , a handful of resistors , a few diodes , and capacitors and maybe 50 or so solder joints . Nothing to be scared of involved with this thing if you know your way around circuit boards and solder , even just a little bit . I'd hate to have to spend $229 + tax for a new dash just to have a working fuel gauge .
Dave

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
This is your thread Drew - I just kinda hi-jacked it
, cause I'm having trouble with mine also. Keep in mind that mine has just the one problem (fuel gauge) ,and your friends may have a host of other un related issues . But I sincerely doubt that it was as full of water as mine was , so all may not be lost there . Sometimes .., vibrations will cause 'not so good' solder joints to disconnect , and simple retouching with iron and solder will get 'em secure again .

Mine is still a big question mark as far as if the resistor is the only problem ??? , but it sure stuck out like a sore thumb there .I should know more tomorrow. G'night. Dave

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Well - I found the resistors locally, had to buy 8 of them to meet the 5 dollar min. charge @ $.68 each. No biggie .., but needed to seriously get the grass mowed , So after sleeping late .., and a senior moment (afternoon nap).., I won't get a chance to install today .

Will report back tomorrow . Dave

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The 4x5 series are GREAT tractors. picked up my 445 last JUly ,and fell in love with it .Put the 40 loader and lot of ballast on it . Now I just bought a 455 two weeks ago .., got a KWIK-WAY loader on it Two days ago . super nice .The diesel is the cats arse man . Getting this one all spruced up to sell, only 679 hrs.!!
Will prob. post it for sale on here if one of the two people who've already spoken interest in it don't take it . That would be one heck of a Christmas present for your w..., er uhm , someones' wife to get them , wouldn't it ??
, especially after they've been so good all year , loosing all those poun .., er uhm - bad habits ,and all .
Wink' Wink' - Plug.

All kidding aside - NOT - Hope to try to get up before 11 tom. and will see if my little resistor gets my fuel gauge going . Will follow up with then .

DAVE

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Hal-la-luyea - Good news to report ! Got the resistor in and the new glass installed . Every thing works good now , and the glass shop did an excellent job custom making it . It fit like a glove . I'm a very happy camper , and am glad that I took the time to tear into this thing ; Total cost = $20.00 , $9-glass, $5 for resistor(s), and $6 for some black RTV.

Sure feels good to save a boat load (>$200)of not so easy to come by money .

Drew - let me know if you need anything here with yours. I did take my camera down to the shop to snap some picts. of it apart , and going back together .., but my batteries pooped out before I even got the first one shot . And was wanting to get it tested .., and I could not wait on charging ; so no picts
. The only thing ,even tricky with the whole repair was being that the 3 screws that hold each meter (fuel & temp.)to the board , are also power conductors that deliver currant to the meters' coils , so they must be clean on the contact washers (that have little micro spikes on them) to get the currant from the board to the coils of the the meter(s). Any rust will cause the meter to not work .

This fix was truly a simple one to perform for me (although a bit tedious), but may not be so for others who are not so familiar around electronics .., and I'll admit that I did get lucky with my problem being so visually obvious ,once I broke it down to inspect . Enter at your own risk , but don't be scared , 'cuase after all , if it don't pan out for you , you still only have a non working dash in the end . But you could end up with a very nice working dash also .

Good luck to any one trying to fix their 4x5 dash , and Hope alls' turn out as good as mine!

Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
My fuel gage is bad to after seeing that it just may be a resistor like David had I may pull apart my cluster. I have just been keeping a jug of diesel around until I hear it splutter then I shut it right down and fill it, I hear it's bad to let a diesel run dry.
Drew I asked a question last week about my 455 just outright dieing and blowing a fuse , I think TimS recommended I get the tech manual called the TM1517 , it is an amazing manual though some of it is over my head because it gets so involved. I checked my local JD store and they wanted $150 for the manual but I found it online digital copy for about $10 . It came as a PDF file that I downloaded on my PC but it is 800 pages long so couldn't print it. I have an IPAD and an IPhone so I found an APP called dropbox that allows you to set up an account and transfer PDF files between all your devices / computers. This worked out nice as I could take my iPad out to my 455 and look up what I needed on the spot. So as others suggested to me try that TM1517 manual it is well worth the digital copy and your friend will get a lot of use out of it I am sure.
Tom

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.