Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 332 is leaking fuel around the bottom of the injectors where they go into the pump. The middle one is ok, just the outside ones. The arrows show the fuel leaking when I turn the key on. I have read other posts about this problem, and replacing the o-ring and also a copper washer. I have not seen a breakdown of the parts. I would like to know what I am getting into before I remove the injection lines and then the injectors. Is there an o-ring and a copper washer? And should they be replaced with new ones? Does JD store have them? I have loosened the ferrule on top and tried to snug the nut that goes into the pump, but it still leaks. When I do get the washers replaced, do I just loosen the ferrule on top and turn the key on until a good flow of fuel appears so I get the air out? The arrows shows where the fuel is leaking from between the nut and the base. Thanks in advance, the tractor runs great, so I do not want to make a problem worse.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Here are 2 good threads that include some photos with parts and part numbers. You can get parts still from Deere. The lower nut is very sensitive, and must be torqued to 31 ft-lbs. Also, it is imperative that everything stay clean, with no contaminates getting into the injection pump. I would replace both washer and o-ring if you take it apart, as it's cheap insurance. Although, I did the same, and it fixed 1 of 2 leaks. I eventually took it apart a second time, cleaned and replaced the o-ring and copper washer again, and it has since stopped leaking.

To get the air out, there is a procedure in the service manual TM1591. In general, you assemble everything, and start the engine. It may or may not start, or run very good. Then, one at a time, crack the line open and let the air out. Do this at the injector nozzle side, NOT the injection pump side. That way you get all the air out of the injection line. Once there is a more steady flow of fuel (no bubbles), tighten it back up, and move on to the next one. It might self bleed rather quickly, or it might take some time, a lot of cranking, ect. to get it back to normal. It will be scary and you'll feel like you did something wrong when you first start it.

-Aaron-

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will be picking up the o-rings and washer today and change them out this week. With all the great info I have from everybody it looks like it should be simple, just keep it clean and torque. Thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
Make sure you use two wrenches when loosening and tightening the lines. Otherwise you could start to spin the delivery valve fittings. Similar on the injector nozzle side. The first time I did it...one of the injector nozzles came apart. Didn't know what I was getting into!

Take your time, keep everything clean, and it should be alright. Like I said, I replaced all three o-rings and copper washers, as they were all leaking. But afterwards one was still leaking, but not as bad. Took that one appart, replaced parts again, and it has been fine. I should have mentioned, buy extra sets of parts since they're not expensive. Though maybe you read that in the aforementioned thread(s). Good luck!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KnockKnock, thanks for your advise. I just got the o-rings and copper washers this morning. I assume you are saying to put a wrench on the bottom nut near the pump and another one on the fuel line nut. I plan on jacking the left hand side of the tractor up to get it level, removing the top nut, taking the o-ring off and then the copper washer, replacing them, torque the bottom nut to 31 lbs, replacing the top nut and with 2 wrenches, tighten the top nut making sure the bottom nut does not move. I will not be able to do this until Sunday.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started today and found out JD store sent me the wrong O-rings(M87861) too small, it looks like they should be M87979, and the copper washers too large(CH16901), it looks like it should be M87846. So I will be returning to JD store on Monday. They had to get these from another store, only took 1 day, hopefully they will have them in stock or can get them from another store the next day, BUMMER!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts