Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All - I'm 67 years old and my JD 455 is 23 years old - sweet machine! I'm getting to the point where it is tough to crawl under the tractor to hook up the belly mower deck each spring (and remove it each fall!). I have the slick little front-end quick connect for the snow blade and I was wondering if any of you folks might know of a Deere or an after-market mower that would hook up in the front of the JD 455 and take advantage of the front-end quick connect feature? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,531 Posts
I understand the effort to get under the tractor as I am older than you. I do not know of an attachment like you are describing but John Deere did make mowers that were in front. You can make a custom attachment to hang a mower to the front but then the question comes of how to power the mower portion. That could be an extended driveshaft, a hydraulic pump and motor, or a deck with it's own motor (like adapting a pull behind mower to mount on the quick attach).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I understand the effort to get under the tractor as I am older than you. I do not know of an attachment like you are describing but John Deere did make mowers that were in front. You can make a custom attachment to hang a mower to the front but then the question comes of how to power the mower portion. That could be an extended driveshaft, a hydraulic pump and motor, or a deck with it's own motor (like adapting a pull behind mower to mount on the quick attach).

I did check with my dealer and "nothing" was available, but I thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone had addressed this! Thanks Again

·
Registered
625 Posts
I very easily adapted an 11hp push blower for my 318 quick hitch. Totally eliminated the sense of dread I felt when fall approached prior to having it.

It would certainly be more involved to convert a self powered tow behind, but certainly would be possible. If the yard is suitable for a front mower would be a great project.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.