Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a question on a john deere 110, serial number 160281. it has the 8 hp. kohler engine. I just installed a new carb. on unit, after it was sitting for over a year. new gas filter also installed. installed new spark plug. went to start it up and had no spark. checked gap on points to make sure set at .020 and unit fired up and ran, best it did since I got it. ran for about 5 minutes and tried to turn off,,and it would not. from what I read on here, the middle wire of the three plug wire is for a ground, so will check that. Can someone tell me what the two wires going to the condenser and points are for. I put a meter on them , one showed open to ground, and the other one showed a direct short to ground. took off flywheel, cleaned everthing I could and put back on. got spark again, but then I went to run unit and the wire going to the starter sol. got hot. I did replace the key switch with a new one. after reading more posts here,i think I might of bought a switch for a battery controlled instead of a magneto. I also checked each terminal of the switch to case of switch and never got a reading for ground.
so, the two questions are, what are the two wires going to the condenser/points and are they to be hooked up together. also, is there anyone that might have a electrical drawing on this unit, as the person that owned it before made some changes to the wiring.
thank you

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
Google search "jd 110 service manual",one of your first choices should be a link to WFM for a PDF file for the manual

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the file, help a lot. still not to clear what the two wire hooked up with condenser and points go to, ordered new points and matching condenser should be here Saturday. will let you know how I made out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
have a question on a john deere 110, serial number 160281. it has the 8 hp. kohler engine. I just installed a new carb. on unit, after it was sitting for over a year. new gas filter also installed. installed new spark plug. went to start it up and had no spark. checked gap on points to make sure set at .020 and unit fired up and ran, best it did since I got it. ran for about 5 minutes and tried to turn off,,and it would not. from what I read on here, the middle wire of the three plug wire is for a ground, so will check that. Can someone tell me what the two wires going to the condenser and points are for. I put a meter on them , one showed open to ground, and the other one showed a direct short to ground. took off flywheel, cleaned everthing I could and put back on. got spark again, but then I went to run unit and the wire going to the starter sol. got hot. I did replace the key switch with a new one. after reading more posts here,i think I might of bought a switch for a battery controlled instead of a magneto. I also checked each terminal of the switch to case of switch and never got a reading for ground.
so, the two questions are, what are the two wires going to the condenser/points and are they to be hooked up together. also, is there anyone that might have a electrical drawing on this unit, as the person that owned it before made some changes to the wiring.
thank you
Yes from how my 110 like yours is but runs from the battery and the starter

Those 2 wires hook together then go to the negative side of your coil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.