Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1984 hydro 116 goes through the coils fast. i have replaced 3 coils in 4 years. now it will start and run until the coil gets hot then it will shut off cuz of the coil so what is making the coil go out?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not sure what u mean briggs and stratton part armature coil a 116 doesnt have points does it i dont think so

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
That should be a Magnetron ignition and should never go bad. There is nothing to wear out in it. The only installation requirement is to set the coil .010 from the freewheel magnets. There is only one wire going to it and that is a ground wire going to the ignition switch. The one thing that could kill it would be 12 volts getting to the coil even briefly. So bad/wrong ignition switch? Has the wiring been changed? Have safety switches been by passed? I suspect the in some way 12 volts is getting to the coil and that is you problem. Roger

·
Registered
1 Posts
That should be a Magnetron ignition and should never go bad. There is nothing to wear out in it. The only installation requirement is to set the coil .010 from the freewheel magnets. There is only one wire going to it and that is a ground wire going to the ignition switch. The one thing that could kill it would be 12 volts getting to the coil even briefly. So bad/wrong ignition switch? Has the wiring been changed? Have safety switches been by passed? I suspect the in some way 12 volts is getting to the coil and that is you problem. Roger
my 116 died twice after about an hour of mowing. i assumed it was fuel issues, so i installed new grommet, fuel line, added an electric pump and new filter. plenty of fuel but still won't start.
so now i assume it's electrical, so i replaced the diode under the battery, new ignition switch, and new coil with module. still won't start. i'm guessing it's something simple, but i can't find it. can you help?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts