Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Appears I have not started a thread on this unit. Need to be able to track work completed.

Here it is, s/n T0571008036 makes it a 1971.

DSCN1227.JPG DSCN1228.JPG DSCN1229.JPG DSCN1230.JPG

Mower deck is an M00595X which I believe is a 46" deck for open frame 3XX tractors. Deck has been sold. Also has sleeve hitch so I have a place to hang my plow.120 will pull a single bottom plow won't it?

DSCN1220.JPG DSCN1221.JPG DSCN1222.JPG

New to me 332 completed first job successfully for me. Used it to pull the 120 out of back of pickup because 120 would not start. After 120 was out in driveway I remember Kevin told me the spring on the FNR lever was weak. Pushed the lever into the switch and it fired uip.

I have room in the lower shed for the 120 with the 317 and 80 cart. With some cleaning I may be able to get the 332 in there also.

Corrected tractor s/n today ... 6/4/2022

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Used tractor this fall to run back & forth to city compost area. Couple of weeks ago tractor would not start. Left it sit. Left front tire went low. Tomorrow is service tires day.

Took battery pack to lower shed and hooked it up to the 120. About 30°F out this morning: engine barely grunted. Attached the battery pack, removed air cleaner and gas cap, gave it a shot of starting fluid, pulled the chock, and gave it a crank. A bunch of times. Nothing. Pulled the choke again and continued to crank. I should have flooded the engine but it started? Drove it up to heated garage to remove the tire. I had a good tire in storage across the street I will install and take tractor back to lower shed after I charge the battery. I have a solar battery charger in lower shed hooked to 317 that will need to share duty with 2, maybe 3 tractors,

The tractor needs engine oil change and air cleaner service. Kevin said the tractor used oil. Oil is cheap. think I will change engine oil and air cleaner before going back into storage.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You got this deck Matt. The other Matt got the deck off my 86 318.

Thinking about putting that single starter weight on it.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is correct grade of engine oil for 120 (Kohler K301 12hp) engine?

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is what I thought.

·
Registered
833 Posts
If it’s an oil burner, you may want to add an additive to help slow consumption down. My dad kept a 2020 Jd running for years on STP before he could get it rebuilt. Oil light would let you know when it needed some at warm idle. I wore a set of tires out on it in 3 years pulling my 110 around mowing yards in the area before I got my drivers license. Had a trailer that we built to pull behind it. Amazing what you see on the road and in ditches only running about 18mph. Lol

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
put single weight on the left tire then as that is the tire not running in fresh dirt for plowing and will need the extra weight to help it get a bite for plowing. your still gonna need better tires than those if you want to pull a plow in the ground.

from what I know any way's. which sometimes is not much

·
Registered
396 Posts
👆 agreed, but I've seen people using chains on turfs and getting it done too. I personally don't like chains but not everyone likes ags in there yard. Charger, are you still interested in the sprayer and box blade? Pm me if you are I might be able to get out by you this weekend

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Engine oil is changed ... 3 pints of Deere 30W. Also changed the air filter. Foam precleaner will be in Friday.

Tire has been removed an is at tire shop. 318 (SAE) rim will not install on 120 ... different bearing.

Hoping tomorrow night it is back in lower shed for winter storage.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gabby, the 120 will serve nicely as a snow removal tractor. I feel like she's eager to work/please. Should run a blower nicely
I have a nice model 49 I could put on it but the problem is this 120 has no front couplers to lift/lower the snow thrower. Or a blade. I think the frame would accept a 318 quick hitch so I could attach my model 54 front blade but again no hydraulics to control it. I have to many projects I want to get done this winter so doubt t hat would be a this winter project. Should get the 140 H3 so I could use that.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
John Deere 6120B is a Super Heavy Duty 120 HP tractor built with exceptional quality and engineering. Equipped with 4 cylinder and a turbo charged John Deere Power Tech engine, it delivers extraordinary power suitable for all hard-to-handle heavy duty operations
??

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Matt.

120 tire and rim full of rust. No inner tube so I suspect very slow leak was from around the valve stem and/or bead. Cleaning up and painting before new inner is installed.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
The spam ads are even worse on my Dumbphone...they freeze the screen and make me restart/resurf to finish what I'm reading. Guess I'm just a stubborn, rude non-Clicker.
Looking good Gabby.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Photos of the front rim ... original condition and cleaned up with a coat rust reformer.

Today I steel wooled the exterior surfaces of the rim; sprayed them with a coat of primer and a single coat of yellow. Still need to paint the interior surfaces. Want to get it finished tomorrow so it has ample cure time before tire and tube are installed so tube does not stick to paint.

Rust Iron Antique Cylinder Still life photography
Sculpture Artifact Carving Metal Bronze

1 - 20 of 129 Posts